Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: loneliness

Hi ive been diagnosed with delusional disorder/ schizophrenia( which i don't agree with because i dont hear voices or expieerience hallunsionations).  Due to my disorder I tend to take things the wrong way which

interferes with daily interactions with people. The medication im on helps but I still have trouble. I have trust issues which does not help when im dealing with people. so i end up feeling lonely and isolated. Before my illness when i was younger I had plenty of friends and now im isolated which is very frustrating.

kato
Senior Contributor

I understand where you are coming from.... I too have the same issues with trust.
what has helped me is self talk about why I don't trust this person or that..... I remind myself that the indervidual is not against me or is not plannng anything untoward....
it is a tricky feeling and just trying to stick with it remind yourself of the facts that they haven't done anything towards you....
and slowly start reaching put to one or two close people and work slowly at your own pace
it can take time but feel free to open up your feelings here its anonymous which is good because no one here knows you.
I find it easier writing here then opening up to friends but I know that what I learn here will help witj those close to me in my life
Feel free to ask me anything and I will endeavor to answer as best as possible

Hi, first post anywhere but you inspired me.
I too find it very hard to go out, people my biggest fear, love gardening but have to see if anyone is about first, I hide a lot the feeling of not fitting in is overwhelming at times not being able to mix and have a social life is frustrating.
I am on meds and doing a lot better still find it hard to face people,rather be alone so I don't have to feel the anxiety and rush of panic.
All the best very brave to post great step.

Hi Pappy.

I understand how you feel.Its nerve racking but its worth the effort to relearn skills so you can be social again.There are good books out there worth looking into.I'll try to find some for you.Once you break from the anxiety of talking to people you will feel more comfortable.

Try these books to help with various things:

1)Acupressure for emotional healing.By Michael Reed.(this book has pressure points that you can use to reduce your anxiety.)

2)Conversationally speaking.By Allan Garner.

3)How to start a conversation and make friends.By Don Gabor.

Chris.

Hi Pappy, I just read your post and it reminds so much of what I am experiencing. It is hard  to go out and enjoy yourself if you are so worried about other people. Medication helps a bit but the rest is up to you. I have tried volunteer work and have been invited to go the social gatherings for this year but don't know if I will be able to get the courage to go, being as i stay at home a lot. I guess I will try and see what happens, I dont know. Your post was really helpful to read and I hope that you find the courage to go out becasue I know that you are missing out a lot. Hope you get better soon.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.