Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: loneliness

Hi Selina.

You're welcome.

I guess our lives change through the years so we just deal with life as best we can.I like to join forums so if I'm not focusing on my own problems at least I can help someone else.It helps to share our experiences so that while we are on our own we know that we arent the only ones.If only more people will allow themselves the freedom to share their situations so they can gain some comfort.

Chris.,

Hi @selina 

I'm not sure why, but this thread jumped to mind today.

How's things going for you? Hope we hear from you soon 🙂

Nik

I'm still around.I havent posted for awhile.I try to keep busy at home.

Trouble with being home with a disability you try to do something to get people into your life and it doesnt do much.

Hi there Nik, thanks for your message. Im coping with things the best way I can. I have a psychotic illness which makes life hard for me so I find it hard to participate in a lot of things i used to previously enjoy which is sad.

selina

Hi again, im not sure wheather you got my first message but i did mention that i have a psychotic illness which prevents me from doing things i would normally enjoy.

Hi @selina and @Denv12 ,

It's nice to 'see' you on here again. @NikNik is not on tonight, but I'm here

You are certainly not only in what you are experiencing. There's a thread, living with MI and making friends where several members have shared their experiences in having difficulties in connecting with others.

@selina , sounds like you are doing the best that you can right now. I know this might sound cliché, though sometimes when one door closes another opens. Loosing parts of ourselves by not being able to do the things that we use to can feel pretty painful. It can feel like we've lost a part of ourselves. But during these times, we can also discover other parts of ourselves. 

For instance @kristin @PeppiPatty tap into their creative sides. @Neb and @kato tune into music. Any words of advice/support for selina about engaging in activities that she can enjoy? 

kato
Senior Contributor

Hi selina,
I have an understanding of what you are going through I too have a psychotic illness when I leave the lid off and not get treatment.
Can I ask what you have been diagnosed with,
I have a tentative diagnosis of bipolar 1 and a too be decided personality disorder.
In the last 2 years I have closed out all my friends leaving me in a lonely situation.....
good news is here in this forum I have managed to talk about what I am going through to some fantastic people. The thing that makes it easier to open up here for me is anonymity. Keep that in mind.....
it is great that you have made the step in joining this forum.
hope to hear from you soon

Hi @selina 

Really glad to see you jumped back on the forums.

I'm sorry to read that your illness is interfering with the things you enjoy. What types of things can you still do, that you enjoy?

Can you see yourself working towards being well enough to enjoy some of the things you're missing at the moment?

Again, it's great to see you back on the forums - I hope you stay connected

Nik

Hi @Denv12 

Awesome to see you back on board too.

CherryBomb pointed towards some interesting threads about managing friendships.

Do you find connecting with people online (whether it be through these forums, or through people you know on facebook) fulfilling?

Nik

Hi Nik.

I'm still here at times.I'm always home just got to find things to do that dont drain the little energy I do have.

For those not familiar with chronic fatigue syndrome,it basically leaves you exhausted.Some people are bed ridden,others like me can do somethings around the home but cant travel.Then there are those who can get out but run out of energy suddenly.You get up everyday not knowing when your energy will drain out of you.Due to CFS thats why I'm at home.

As for fulfilling,it helps having contact online like social media and forums,etc.It gives you some contact during a day.I miss the social -in person contact where I have people in my life.Being on your own too long is not a good thing.I only have people calling in each week to help me with postbox and butcher shop and I get local supermarket to deliver groceries and a social worker visit each week.We need people in our lives not just on the other end of an internet connection.

Finding things to do around home can get tedious.I play piano,I read,I have some hobbies and collect things.Well,at least that helps a little to get through a day.Its when I cant find anything to do.

Trying to find people who have the time to visit is where the real problem is.And having good people in your life who are supportive.

Chris.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.