Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

gemkitty
Casual Contributor

panic attacks

Hi I'm new this site I've been recommended from my Psychiatrist to have a chat with you guys and see if you can help. I have suffered from panic attacks for nearly 2 years now and nothing I have tried has worked. I've tried three different types of medications and the last one seems to have helped more but hasn't stopped them completely. I have started some volunteer work for my course that I have started and my first day didn't go so well I had a panic attack and the deputy principle spoke to my tafe teacher and now I have a fear of going back in fear of having another panic attack. Panic attacks feel like they control my life and I'm at a loss. What should I do?

8 REPLIES 8
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: panic attacks

Welcome @gemkitty

I think panic attacks are the worst! I started getting them as a young teen and hav had it for about 12 years. I can handle my deppresion but panic attacks drive me insane. I've been to the hospital 3 times because of them and had doctors come over to convince me I'm not dying. And sadly with my panic attacks it sets of my reflux and I get violently ill. When I first started having them I lost over 10 killios in a month.

What works for me is first I now know it can not halm me. (I thought my lungs where giving out) Secondly I know it's all in my mind. Thirdly I know what sets most of them off so I can prepare myself in yucky situations.

What I tend to do when I feel it coming on I talk to my brain and go "um hello I'm way to busy to deal with you, come back next week" <br>I then try to keep myself busy. If I'm quiet for me it gets worse. I watch TV, I cook, I google the most weirdest things, anything to keep my mind of the panic attack and hope it passes fast or doesn't grow. I try and push it far down. Most of the time those work great for me. Like 90% of the time. I can't be quiet or still. My doctors have tried that with me in those situations and tell me to close my eyes and count to 60 and I just start shaking badly so there like yep keep your self busy.

If it's a bigger panic attack and those steps don't work and it's coming on fast if I'm at work I go home to a safe zone. Or if I'm with my husband he can generally tell I'm freaking due to my over doing it and will take me for a drive. Sometimes it gets bad I can't talk so he talks to me and tells me funny stories with out expecting a reply.

And then sadly there's times when nothing will work and hello medication.

But I think knowing it can't hall you and it's all in your head really helps. It gives me strength knowing I can conrol it.

I hope you can find something that works.

Welcome @gemkitty Smiley Happy

It must be a vicious circle?

I hear you reaching out for help though, and wanting things to change by taking steps forward.

@ButterflyGirl will relate, she posts that she has suffered with panic attacks most of her life!

I believe cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) is effective in addressing panic attacks, through exposure.

Worth a try!

Sane also has this info on panic/anxiety you may find useful

https://www.sane.org/mental-health-and-illness/facts-and-guides/anxiety-disorder

Have a look around the forums and say hello to our members they are a wealth of information Smiley Wink

One of the things that helps bring me down from a panic attack is watching funny things on you tube but it doesn't always work. One day I had a continuous panic attack for 5 hours before I calmed down. I found the longer I'm in the situation the worse it gets. If I have one at work I refuse to go home I tell myself I refuse to let it beat me. Doesn't make it any easier though. I'm mainly scared and stressing out at the moment for two weeks away when I have to do my volunteer work. I'm that scared of a panic attack I'm just dreading going. I feel if I didn't have the panic attacks I could conquer anything. Even things I used to find easy to do like simple tasks I now struggle

Also wondering what CBD is and how it works
Former-Member
Not applicable

I love your attitude on how you don't want it to defet you! That's what's going to help you win! I was a similar space as you doing voluntary work and scared it was going to over stress me and I'll have a massive panic attack. But guess what I got throug it like you will! Yes I might of had a mini attack while doing it but I kept going like you will! And when you have finished your volunteer work you will be like that take that panic attack I won! Then the next time a big thing comes up you can be like I go through the last big project I can get through this.

And say if it does get bad during your volunteer work! At least you where brave enough to give it a go. And by all means you are far from a failure, you a really a winner because to try something in the situation is amazing. And then when another big thing comes up you can look back and go what worked and didn't and learn from it.

I wish the distractions always work but man when they do I love it! 5 hours is hell! I agree they can get worst. It weird for me I need to shrug it of in the early stages and start prepping my self in the middle stage before it gets to horrible. I had one that lasted over a week and I was non stop shallow breathing and being ill. Was not fun.

I have a full time job as a cashier at retail job and its only been in the last 3 weeks that I have had no panic attacks there. It's the volunteer work I'm struggling with I've only done one day there so far and I'm scared to do another.
Former-Member
Not applicable

I worked full time as well in retail and ran a massive volunteer job that including a team of 60 I had to over see.

Don't let fear rule your life. You will regret it. I regret missing out on so much because of fear.

What I do now is calm myself down in these situations and listen to my gut. It never lets me down. I go am I not doing this because I'm scared of something that may or may not happen or am I haveibg alarm bells go off because I know this is not going to end well and I can feel myself going downwards. If I decide its fear I come up with ways of overcoming it. If it's I know this is going to break me I don't attempt it. My health is more important.

I think you need to do the same. Is this just fear or do you know it's not a good time to do it.

And with what ever way you chose be proud of your self. If you chose it's fear and your going to kick its butt good on you! If you decide no I'm not ready go on you for listing to your self and being brave enough to say no to it. It's a big thing to say no and put your self first.

I work in retail, been doing same job since 2012.

Sometimes I get frustrated as it's hard sometimes - you know what customers can be like - so annoying.

I got stressed due to my agoraphobia - I can't do simple things like go for a walk by myself.

I tried but I get 'stuck' - I wish I could go for walk without any emotions then I could do it.

I can drive but not by myself.

I haven't been feeling good lately due to panic attacks and I feel 'stuck' - about my job and life in general.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.