Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

gemkitty
Casual Contributor

panic attacks 2

Another panic attack at work today was stuck in the situation being work for about an hour and 15 minutes took a good hour to calm down when I got home. So stressed about monday

6 REPLIES 6
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: panic attacks 2

Hi @gemkitty

I don't think we've 'met' before on the forums, welcome 🙂

I think you might have posted beofre and i've missed it.. 

Panic attacks are awful, i'm glad you had some time to calm down when you got home. Was there a trigger for the panic attack or did it come sort of out of no where? if there was a trigger is there some way to avoid that at work? sometimes there isnt though. I have been doing a lot of deep breathing at school, i'm a teacher... and i tell the kids this is one way of feeling calm and centered. 

Whats happening or happened on monday?

Glad you're here,

LJ

@gemkitty,

I have never had a panic attack myself, and I can only say how much I admire the resillience and courage it must take to overcome each setback that arises.  I hope you've found some comfort in the time since.  Like @Former-Member, I was wondering what you have on Monday that's causing you such distress?

Hi @gemkitty

Panic attacks can be an incredibly scary and uncomfortable experience, especially when you're in a less than ideal environment to ride it out (e.g., at work). Are you able to tell a colleague at work when this happens, or ring a trusted friend or family member? It can be expecially difficult if you don't have anyone around to walk with you through those moments. If you are able to get away for a while, you could try calling the Anxiety Recovery Centre helpline on 1300 ANXIETY (1300 269 438). Their hours of operation are Monday to Friday between 10am - 4 pm. These guys can be with you on the phone while experiencing a panic attack and can work through strategies with you to bring the anxiety down a notch or two until you feel safer again. 

The hormones that flood your system during times of panic do take time to physically dissipate, so give yourself that space for self-care afterwards if you can. The expectation that we should be able to instantly switch back to 'normal' may leave you feeling frustrated and discouraged. Our bodies have gone into fight or flight mode, so it is typical to feel gittery and exhausted sometimes for hours later. Echoing @Former-Member knowing your triggers can really help you prepare for potential problems and manage them better if they do arise. It sounds like whatever is happening on Monday might be a possible trigger? Look forward to hearing more of your story.

Take care, Mosaic.

Hi gemkitty In your other thread, you showed a lot of insight and determination to deal with this issue and you are doing paid and unpaid work. You have to be proud of that. You also mentioned that its worse the longer you feel the panic. I tend to agree. I have anxiety levels that are often at panic attack levels, though the main episodic panic attacks I had were in supermarkets. It was being "at the end of my tether" type of experiences and also tied to access to food. They happened in supermarkets for about 10 years, after I had stopped SHing and turning my energy against myself. They have subsided at the supermarket but still my general anxiety is high. You are different to me and your triggers would be different. Do all the things that you know work and try and contain your stressors. Work is a stressor, only some people get to love their jobs. Or maybe they have stuck it a long time. I don't know.

Work could be stressful but for retail job I think the stress would be lower than other jobs.

In retail every day is about the same - well in my experience more or less the same.

The same routine - turn up, face the customers, do what you have to do, try to do it 100% and then

the manager will tell you when it's not 100%...

I try to control my 'emotions' as well - not get angry to customers as not good

The stress I experience is about the future - not sure what will happen to my job as it depends on

the next boss. If the business 'changes hands' in the next couple of years will new boss let me keep working?

Lately some shifts I have not been feeling very good due to 'unwanted' thoughts and it happened at work

and I felt some anxiety but did not have a panic attack - well not such an attack that

anyone at work found out. I cannot reveal my problem to anyone as I could lose my job

and then I will be in big trouble.

If I lose this job I will not be able to cope - if I could call what I do at the moment 'coping'.

I feel tired of this life most of the time as every day is more or less the same and for years

nothing changes. I go to see psychologist and she tells me the same thing - 'go for walk'...

What is the point of seeing psychologist?

Not only that my Mum keeps going on and on and on complaining about my lack of progress and not willing to exercise...but I tried and when I went outside to try to exercise I don't feel good -

everything feels strange it's too bright and then I can't walk too far only up the street a few houses then

I gave up.

The strange thing is years ago I could walk around and even drive by myself - but then I had a bad panic attack on the way home driving from work and after that for last six years I cannot drive by myself.

Lately I even got panic attack driving when Mum in car but I didn't admit to her as she is not very caring 

for my condition - I try to ignore her complaining and pull over to side street for few minutes.

I'm tired of this I wish I had time machine to go back 

seven years and I will have ability to drive - even if limited ability to drive locally it's good enough for me.

Maybe I need medication but my Mum refuse to consider this option as she said I will become

a 'zombie' if on medication. 

I don't know how to make the progress and I am so desperate. How can I survive in the future like this?

I cannot depend on Mum forever as she will get older soon - already old but still active.

I wish I can be strong like her and do everything independently. Why can't I be strong and I feel so ashamed as a man in Australia man is meant to be tough not weak.

But I am weak and I have to face the fact.

Then the other problem is I keep making stupid mistakes at work - even when I reflect on it 

I get angry with myself how could I be so stupid to make such a mistake

when have been doing this for a few years ?

I have no 'friends' - who could put up with me? Imagine someone having to be a 'friend' to someone

with this lifestyle and problems - it is not fair to the other person.

They will go crazy for sure and want to escape.

I don't know what to do

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @jamesle2015

Im glad that you shared that here. Though i know sharing so much terrifies me as well as it being a relief to get my thoughts out somewhere they can be 'heard'.

I don't think that you are weak. You have fought and battled with this hardship and continued to work despite the illness. I'm sorry that you are not finding the psychologists advice helpful. Would you consider doing exercise at home? I've recently started doing some yoga with a dvd at home, my lil boy thinks its hilarious and my daughter joins in. I also have a exercise thing (but its mostly used for drying towels!!!) doh!

If you arent feeling as though your current psychologist is giving you anything useful now would you consider seeing someone else? though I know it can be hard for so many reasons to change.

I also wondered if you have tried medication before.. and if thats why your mum doesnt like it if you've had bad experiences before or not. And wanted to say that if you are an adult then it is your choice and not hers, though obviously her support and feedback are important. For me, medication has been and is an important part of being well... ish...though it doesnt make everythign magically better, it gives me the space to be able to cope and keep on top of things. But its defintely a personal decision and everyone is different! 

Take care,

LJ

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.