Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Slow/quiet

@The-red-centaur  And everyone this isn’t meant as an accusation I understand that everyone has times where they can’t be super supportive as they are needing support themselves but I guess it is hard when the pool of regular supporters is small as it means if even a few people are not in a position to support then there are not enough supporters to go around. I guess I am just wondering if there is a way to make it easier so that no one is getting burnt out and a few are not supporting the many. Like @greenpea  said some people you only see on here once and others may ask questions and not reply it is hard and no one HAS to do anything but it seems to me that something isn’t quite working atm. 

@The-red-centaur  Hey sweety you contribute alot:). I am talking about ones that come in ask their question and are never heard of again. It is a shame as the more the merrier.

@Eden1919  you hit the nail on the head Eden1919.  Yes you are right and i am not quite sure what can be done about it tbh. Any ideas everyone? for example has it anything to do with the strict moderating on certain subjects? I know that upsets new comers from time to time.

@greenpea tbh I don't like the long threads. I feel lost and too scared to reply to them (exept for the social spaces like good morning). Unless things are about original topic I think people should make another thread. Idk just an idea.
It could also help random others browsing/looking at the forums for specific topics or wanting an answer on a specific thing.

@The-red-centaur  good idea. I know the moderaters were trying to encourage that back a couple of years ago when I first came online. Then it all seemed to be forgotten about.

@greenpea @The-red-centaur  I also personally don’t like the long threads I find any thread hard to keep up with if you haven’t read the whole thing or been there from the start and often when I try I feel lost and overwhelmed trying to figure out how to reply. The social threads are ok but even then to me it feels like too much which is why I don’t tend to go there so much.

Idk what the reason is for people not staying, I do think the guidelines as much effort that has been put into them can be very vague and hard to interpret so perhaps if people are getting posts deleted that may be off putting... one of the other things I wonder about is that because it has been slow it that new people aren’t getting replies as quickly as they may be expecting so then they think there is no point coming back. I also wonder if (and I am not sure if this already exists) but maybe a guide for new people about how to use the forums and what to expect kind of... like I think maybe people expect one thing and it isn’t what they thought it would be so then they leave. Idk what the answer is. 

@Eden1919  yes I have read a few new threads of people who are unhappy and the common theme seems to be that they wanted their questions answered but were not willing to give back to the forum. It has to be a give and take thing as we are not professionals hired by sane to give advise we are all in this mi box together and need to help each other to make the forums work.

Hi @Eden1919 @greenpea @The-red-centaur @Lauz @outlander 

I've been away without my computer for a total of 3 1/2 weeks since boxing day - very unusual for me.   I'm back now!  I would add that as much as we try to respond to newcomers and unanswered threads, there are only 7 community guides for the whole forums.  I think there's been talk of increasing that number down the track.  And I know that 2 or 3 of us cg's have had major life challenges off-line in recent times.  We too are just people with our own lived experience of mh issues and doing this as volunteers - so please excuse any delays in response you've been experiencing.  Not making excuses here, just sayin'.

I agree that there's a large number of people who come to the forums for the first time and only post once or twice then disappear again.  But I also see something like 3 or 4 people in every dozen or so who do go on to participate regularly.  There is also a percentage who go on to 'lurk' (that was the term used in a previous discussion with mods some time ago)  just meaning that they read a lot of posts and sometimes support them but rarely say anything.   I think the forums are still helpful to these people.  I think it's always been that way really and I've been around since 2014. 

At times I do find it disappointing to put effort into a response and then get nothing back, but again it seems to be the nature of the forums that that will happen sometimes.  After all, everyone here (other than mods) is dealing on a daily basis with their own mental health challenges and management.

@eth its ok . Nice to see you

Welcome back wonderful @eth! Good morning @The-red-centaur 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.