Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

P12
Senior Contributor

Occupational Therapy

Would anyone be able to explain what an occupational therapist is? Do they deal with employment challenges specifically or daily skills more broadly.

I read they may be able to explain how employment works and how I can obtain a position to receive a minimal wage for acting naturally.

Employment situations cause me high stress, anxiety, and depression because I feel like an outsider. My idea of the world is apparently different to everyone elses and I feel I am punished for not understanding what is apparently obvious. Would there be a more suitable support service for me?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Occupational Therapy

I've often wondered about their exact function myself @P12   I have heard them spoken of in the field of rehabilitation, but also more broadly.  I expect someone who has more information will reply soon - but perhaps you could do an online search with your question while you're waiting?  Best wishes.

I had an interesting OT experience last year and am re-engaging with the same person for a short period again.

@P12 

I had no idea what was possible. 

Smiley Happy

I found the young well trained lady could think outside the box and take the initiative.  I can be a complicated tuff nut.  Will see how it goes these next sessions, but she knew how to allow me to feel heard, make constructive offerings, when to pull out and not charge her very high fees, and later when to re-engage.

I would think their job is to assist you with Occupational issues mainly as there are lots of people doing the daily living stuff.  However mine seemed to realise that a wholistic approach is also necessary.  If you have the possiblity of engaging I think it is worth a go.  Some of it is the profession and some the individual.

Best of luck.

Apple

Hi @P12 

I cheated and Googled...this is in brief...

Occupational therapists treat injured, ill, or disabled patients through the therapeutic use of everyday activities. They help these patients develop, recover, improve, as well as maintain the skills needed for daily living and working.

Do you have NDIS? For memory it falls under Improved Daily Living 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.