Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Gee
Casual Contributor

No mental health services

My first forum I've used but I feel abandoned by any mental health assistance so I'm just trying to help myself. I have had different diagnoses over the years, but I had a big breakdown during the lockdown and was diagnosed schizoaffective. I was monitored for a year by a psychiatrist but then offloaded to my GP. I'm still on the heavy duty meds. I don't know how long I'm supposed to keep taking the toxic meds and I think since covid the mental health care has deteriorated to the point where it's every man or woman for themselves. Anyway, thanks for listening to my rant.

15 REPLIES 15

Re: No mental health services

Hello @Gee  and welcome to the forums. I hope you find friendly supportive people here as I have.

Thanks @Eve7 

Hi @Gee  welcome to the forums, lotsa friendly folks here. And I agree, covid has done a lot to peoples mental health…

Thanks @Bow. Yeah I think covid has made many health professionals weary, underfunded etc. Thanks for your welcome.

Hi @Gee ,

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve felt abandoned by th MH system.

I hope you will find the forums a supportive place for you to connect with others who may have a similar story to you.

Although we can’t discuss meds not give clinical advise, we can share our experiences and stories. I feel that a sense of connection and belonging helps individuals feel much less ‘abandoned’.

Take care,

BPDSurvivor

Hi @Bow @Eve7 !

Thanks @BPDSurvivor. It's nice to share things with a caring community.

Hi @Gee  welcome to the forums. Good on you for reaching out, though you're right - we should be able to get the support we need and deserve when we go looking for it. COVID sure has had a huge impact on people's mental health, and thus the MH system. I hope you find this space to be really helpful for you. You are welcome to check out SANE's new personalised digital services, check this link for the referral form and to see if you are eligible ✌️

Also re: meds - the way I see it is that meds can be a helpful tool to get us stable while we work on things. I can understand feeling like they are toxic and resent being on them though, that is tough. It could be worth chatting to your treating team about it though, if you feel like they aren't right for you. 

All the best, feel free to reach out to us as well if you have any queries (e.g. you can put @ and then type moderator to tag the @moderator )

A lot people find themselves here when they find the standard services aren't enough. It's a negative reflection on how we're managing resources, but also a positive reflection on your hunger for recovery.

Hello @Gee 

Hearing you about issues with services and meds, but your rant was not long so not really a rant.  I see it more of a statement of how you are.  Hope things improve by using the forum.

Apple

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.