Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

soppykat
Senior Contributor

Looking for work and not getting anywhere

Hi guys, I had a job interview today.  I was super nervous, nearly hyperventilating with every question that I answered to the guy.  On the other hand, the guy who interviewed me didn't even seem to care that I was nearly having a panic attack simply by being there.  He didn't seem to care that I haven't had a job a year thanks to COVID 19 and budgeting restraints from my last job.  He didn't seem to care that the job before that shut up shop on me either.

All I want is a damn job - I reckon I am capable of working a bit each week.  I am on the DSP, so it's not compulsory to work, but I want to work.  I don't want to waste all the study I have done on nothing.  I am just sick of going from interview to interview being looked over by everyone else.

Life sux atm and I hate it 😞  I have been on DSP since I was 20 years old - and next year I am going to hit the big 4 -- 0 .. It seems like I have done nothing productive in my life.......... great.. not... 😞

25 REPLIES 25

Re: Looking for work and not getting anywhere

Just wanted to say, "Good on you for putting yourself out there!"

I'm also on the DSP, for a long time- probably close to you- but want to work a bit at least. I have been doing approx. 6 hours a week over a couple of days for I guess a decade? I need to do more, and I keep looking online, but struggling to find anything to apply for that I can do, and then terrified of applying because at least I am safe the way things are. In fact, my current job and employer are great, just no more hours available.

So yeah, much respect for persevering!

Hi @StuF - the only things i can really do are admin and talking to people... i cant clean because i am too slow, cant wake up super early because i get so drugged out thanks to my 9 different meds i take a day..i get so drugged out that i cant even respond to 3 different alarm clocks 😞 theres not really much stuff i can do.. i hate how all the jobs out there ask for like 5 years experience and need to be here and there.. my car is also stuffed too............bugger all of this stuff im sick of it

I believe every word that you have written @soppykat 

I read the other day where a business was starting over or simply starting and could not get staff.

As far as attitude, that the interviewer displayed, I have noticed this in different customer service fields as well.

You have every right to apply for work and the fact that you want to work should shout out loud and clearly to any interviewer, employ this person!!

I imagine that you have support of some kind which does not sound to be supporting you in what you want right now.

Are you up to writing a letter to your local member of parliament?

Cut and copy what you have written here if you feel comfortable enough.

I am wondering if one of the sane ambassadors might help you in this direction.

@Former-Member 

I read between the lines not only frustration, but passion, persistence and determination.

I find so often, employed people in differing industries, lacking enthusiasm, a smile, a hello.

I could literally if it was within my power offer you so many jobs to replace the rude, indifferent, thankless employees out there.

The government is releasing yet another bucket of money for mental health. Well here is an area that needs money for beneficial, supportive action that gets results.

This is a subject that I feel very strongly about, if you have not already worked that out.

I hope that you do not find my response too forceful or intimidating in any way.

I apologise if this is the case.

Please do not give up. Do not allow that nincompoop with a personality of a peanut to influence your job search.

Leave copies of resumees everywhere with a smile on your face.

Anxiety is challenging. I know this personally.

I challenge myself to push through anxiety.

Tag me if you have not given up reading already. I promise to reply when I next log in.

I use a desktop for internet not my mobile, hence do not use everyday.

I think that you have instrumented change already just by writing about this and starting a new thread.

Well done and keep writing about your efforts if you so wish.

Sophia

Hello @soppykat 

Our posts overlapped.

This happens to me all of the time because I write such great essays.

Having admin skills is an area where you might be able to fit into different businesses.

Another option is volunteering in admin you can ask your local council or there should be a state volunteering site.

Again if unsure ask someone at sane.

Volunteering is a great way of getting back into work slowly. Your rights are still  respected. You allocate the hours that you are available.

Then you can look at the same time as your confidence builds into paid work. 

@soppykat @Sophia1 

I can second the volunteering- that's how I got this job!

Many moons ago I was with a Disability Employment agency, who actually did a Fine job of helping people with disabilities (mostly psychiatric) find suitable employment...Of course, they failed to tick all the gov't boxes each review, so they no longer exist 😞

@soppykat 

Just wanted to add directly- yeah, the meds can be a big problem. I'm lucky enough to be on not great doses, but lethargy is still a big problem 😞

As for the experience thing...hear ya loud and clear!

Thank you for flagging this for us @Sophia1, but could I clarify what support you were thinking of? Support to write a letter? If so, my best suggestion would be reaching out to an advocacy service such as the Mental Health Advocacy Service for more support. Thanks so much for your encouragement and suggestions! 😊 
@soppykat, know there are many options available to you. I wish you the courage and strength to do whatever feels right for you. 

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all of your responses to me.  I could write a letter to an advocacy place or something.  I am already doing volunteering a couple of hours a week with admin, but I can't get a direct job from that.  

Tell me guys - who exactly should I write to about not finding work? I don't know 😞

@soppykat 

Just got worried- hopefully my replies didn't just come across, "Hey, enough about you; what about me?"??

I was just trying to relate, show you you are not alone...

Now that I've had time to (over?)think it, just wanted to apologise if I came across the wrong way. I'm new to this type of forum

Anyway, enough derailment. I hope you find some answers!!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.