Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Ricardorider
Senior Contributor

Hi everyone

Am new to the forums, I live in Melbourne, was retrenched March 2016 and working contract jobs since early 2010. I have had anxiety and depression for a while now. being treated by two very good professionals. My age is a major barrier to getting a job, so is my previous work history, over /under qualified, too young to retire / too old to work. Hard to handle as i used to work in the employment field.

My motivation is up and down, i like to cycle but the lack of motivation of really keeps me off the bike and staying fitter . So i'm here 🙂  Being unemployed is isolating and lack of money stops me from doing a few things as well. Stay safe & warm tonight everyone, 🙂

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Hi everyone

I can relate.

I can relate too @Ricardorider. I think you are doing amazingly well. I don't know much about you but you did express yourself well. I would focus on what you are good at and perhaps set yourself some fitness goals. Keeping putting one foot in front of the other, chin up mate!!

Thanks GreyTom, I have seen this up close and personal in one my former jobs. We have to re-invent oursleves so many times and get jaded to the point of menatl exhaustion. I thought perhaps naively that "it wouldn;t happen to me"  Have re-invented myself 4 times and am on my 5th. Does it get easier, no. Am that bit older, wiser yes. But 'that bit older' is the difference!

Hi Ocean Girl, I have had  abit of practice and am using the skills from other jobs. My Psychs are real world, which is important, to me 🙂  I do use CBT and it works well. Motivation is a problem when you no longer have daily contact in the workplace with colleagues. Inspite of some of them being incompatoible with the human race. Staying focussed enough is a day to day thing. Am constantly fighting so to speak to be motivated.

I'm burnt out, centrelink are 'helpful' to be generous. But are as useless as an ashtray on a motorbike and DES are taking money under the guise of 'doing something' are a write off IMHO. A lot of others must be thinking this. Am not sure i will get a job it will be something, I come up with. So far nothing has got be enthusiastic or has passed the pub test 🙂 I dont drink btw 🙂 🙂  As i worked in employment or unemployment I know a lot ore than most,Yep A little bit of knowledge can be dangerous 🙂  But TBH once we reach 50, perhaps 45 employers take over and we are on the scrap heap. 25yrs of work appears irrrelevant, over qualified, they reckon as soon as you see get a job beter suited you will leave. To date i haven't been told that as an applicant. But have heard it on the other side of the table.I have walked out of a few interviews when its become apparent its a lost cause. The interviewers just going by the numbers or flat our abusive. They had the nerve to call me out for being rude.!!  An over reaction? No. I was a professional interviewer, You get to know when interviewers are going through the motions. 

I used to say to people. Job searching becomes a compromise. You work out what you can do then what you will do or are prepared to do. So now thats the process i'm going through. Without DES. They said to me vocatipnal counselling was to expensive and they wouldn't pay for it. So much for them helping me to help them get their money. Sorry am ranting, venting am flat out angry. Anx and Dep get you this way. I realise this, maybe am lucky that way, it doesn;t make it feel any better !! Thanks for reading 🙂 Stay safe everyone 🙂 🙂

Hi @Ricardorider . I am new to the forums too and was retrenched a few months ago so know how you feel. This has really added to my anxiety and depression as I am trying my hardest to find a job and not getting very far especially as I am over 40.
Hope we both find a decent job soon and can feel less anxious and depressed.

hi @Ricardorider welcome to the forums 🙂

@SydphotogWe get challeneged everday with things happening out of our control.Being unemployed is one of the biggest. Am yet to find any employment counsellor our recruiter who is actually either motivated or whose job is to motivate people who are unemployed.

To date its been everything and more. I did get 8hrs a week cleaning. Am not worried about the hard work. But would rather be using my brain than in a physical job. Have done the hard yards a few years back. The cleaning is an attempt to stay away from the people who caused me to burn out and be treated for anxiety and depression. If only the guy who employs me was as good a communicator as he think he is. I have to deal with idiots and show ponies who can't stand the sight of a cleaner yet moan and complain if the place isn't spotless. A fair call? as long as I can get access to clean the places yes, not it they are lounging around in the way and I have to start cleaning at 9pm at night, 3hours after i am supposed to. Am nit picking? if only my boss would let me know I will be starting late instead of leaving me with my anxiety to deal with these precious people, am trying so hard to avoid

Stick with the daily job search @Sydphotog, look outside of your comfort zone and like me compromise on what you can and want to do, with what you need to do. Stay safe 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.