Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: When the media impacts our mental health

I feel sad when turning the corner from Spencer St into Lonsdale St Melb.

My dad was a reader for the Herald and the Age and introduced me to a couple of mates there before he died.

For years when I passed the Age building I remember him and his legacy which was socially aware clear thinking.  he may have presented more poorly to others, but that is what my child's mind took in and the way he treated me.

After he died there were no more papers in the house.  Then my sister had to fight for her right to get the Age with mother whilst she was studying HSC.  The one who died.

In my marriage we bought a TV after a couple of years but never bought newspapers. Simply not in the budget, we were saving up for paint cans and hardware supplies. Sometimes hub found one on the train or bought one .. that was enough.

For my son, I did what @Ellu does and chose subscriptions to quality journals from a range of points of view and topics, but only one per year, still he could keep abreast with his own internet connection.

I felt happy when I first started driving past the old Age building as it brought back positive  memories and "they" had "taken" lol .. my old Spencer St Station.

Change is always around and needs to be managed.  We also need to protect oursleves from media assault but not live too much in a fantasy bubble .. I guess where we draw the line is a unique choice.

Dear Li1,

Everything you say about Centrelink and other similar organizations is true. Many of these organizations are understaffed, and it is no wonder some staff become rude and unwelcoming because they are under so much pressure at work.It  doesn't necessarily mean that they are bad people, some of them have difficulty dealing with their workload and make poor judgements.Perhaps we should agitate for more staff to treat us with generosity.

There are some very fine people the world - maybe someone living next to you. The media will occasionally run a story on someone who has given to society, but we are surrounded by the prejudiced attitudes of some people in society. Try to be positive and look for the best in people. Maybe you will stumble across some really good people who respect you and treat you respectfully. Please don't get distressed. There are may people on the forum who understand what you are going through and can give you support.

Ellu

Elli.I referred to the media eg:those who make comments on daily news topics eg:stories of Dole bludgers, the comments that we don't look for work or other assumptions based on so called statistics.

Dear Li1,

I understand what you say, and maybe I was a bit vague in my previous post. I think that the stigma and bad-mouthing there is about mental illness all comes from the public's fear of people who are different. My parents were refugees to this country, and my mother can still remember talking with a friend on a tram when a bossy woman came up to her and said "Why don't you speak English in this country" People who are not wealthy or middle class are looked on as "bludgers", while you and I know that these people are really struggling to survive and gain acceptance. 

I wouldn't watch morning T.V. if you paid me. It is geared up to be sensationalist and it is obvious rubbish. Why pollute your mind with that stuff? You always have to take the media with a grain of salt. They look for stories which are sensationalist and will boost their ratings,Stories about "dole bludgers" or people trying to cheat the system appeal to viewers/readers who like to feel superior. They have no idea what it is really like, and how hard some people struggle to make ends meet.It is very hard to change these people's opinions,- bigots are so sure of themselves. The best thing to do is simply ignore them.

This is a subject which is obviously bothering you a lot. If you have time, you could sit down and write down all your thoughts in detail. It would help get things off your chest. Once you have it done you could send it to the TV stations or newspapers concerned and of course post it here where you have many supporters and people who think the same way.

Prejudice is very hard to fight, but don't forget that the media is only trying to make money. Occasionally you will get a good, well written story but that is rare. So write to the media - they often pubish letters from readers - and in the meantime avoid the sort of stuff which you know is going to offend you.

I avoid content I don't like too - I either don't read it or turn the TV off.

Do take care,

Ellu

@NikNik

Yes, bad news on air/social media seems to be everywhere and a lot of us are feeling like you. They are now saying such obsession with sensationalist bad news is one of the sources triggering adolescent anxiety disorders.

May I make a proposal to help manage this. Could we start a "good news" thread here to counteract the detrimental impacts of the bad news? Where people daily or when they can, report the good that they experience personally in their neighbourhoods or travels - the good that is happening in the world for equilibrium and better peace of the mind. The epitome for sound mental health.

@NikNik

An example of good news that Is happening in my community;- a major corporation (one of the wealthiest in Australia) is buying up our charity food retail store where we serve to feed the homeless, lower income earners and those who may find themselves temporarily in financial dire straits (battlers). They have given us a date to be out by. The board members (committee) after attempts to found other suitable premises unsuccessfully are all giving up and are wanting to close this vital service. Many would suffer as a result.

The good news is my husband who is on the board listens to me. I just tracked down a commercial property that would be ideal. The rent is too high but after some discussions I think I have struck up a deal that would work. We have resistance from other board members because they basically are losing interest but we are pushing ahead, for the sake of the community anyway. And we are getting somewhere - the move is looking more promising (I can't go into specifics).

My husband has spoken to the owner and CEO of the corporation whom purchased our old premises. And after my husband speaking with them they have offered us financial assistance (donation) to set up in the new premises. This new shop is even bigger and better than the previous one. Offering more services and quality of food for the poor. Even though big business can cause much grief through greed, there are some better ones out there. Although they are in it for business (they do not wish their reputation to be tarnished), they were more than reasonable with their assistance. Good business ethics.

Where all seemed lost and countless would of suffered, a good outcome has prevailed through determination. This is the good news people need to hear about that is happening in the world, in Australia, and although getting rarer - there is still good out there. It's not all bad. Hoping to spread the cheer.  😊💕

Yes @Former-Member

That is great about your specific charity.  Smiley HappySmiley Happy

It is also great that there is the move into ethical investment and business models.Smiley HappySmiley Happy

Thank you to every one - reading this thread helps

Morning! I was just reading about tensions in the Sth China Sea and how it could quickly blow up into an all out war between the worlds largest superpowers U.S. & China, with us in the crossfire, and the potential of Global involvement with 'unimaginable' consequences... And so many have said 'Trump' is trigger happy. As if there's not enough global conflict with ISIS. Makes ones heart grow weak "what's to point of it all?" Gets me down - SI... Just saying
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.