Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Re: Contracting Diabetes while on anti anxiety medication

no list yet @Mazarita, but good idea

got the birthday list Smiley Very Happy

sending you lots of tender hugs my awesome friend @Former-Member HeartHeart

Me.. I have @Shaz51 - but for me it was the anti-psychotics that were to blame.
I now take diabetes medication and have to watch what i eat.

it was the anti-psychotics that were to blame.-- yes my husband thinks his is caused by the anti-psychotics too  ( He has not been diagnosed yet with Diabetes )  BUT @Former-Member

I'm very interested as to what your husband is taking as an anxiolytic as I don't know of any that is associated very strongly with diabetes or even much weight gain. But you often take anti-depressants or anti-psychotics in low doses as anxiolytics as the true 'anti-anxiety drugs' are addictive long term so not used long term.

Well it's interesting to note that diet and exercise can COMPLETELY control type II diabetes so don't stress too much. If you live a healthy life, it's not too bad.

he has being trying to get off hem but has to go back on them @Former-Member

my husband`s think if he stops taking them he will loss weight but he has to quickly go back on them

It sucks, it really does.
But I try to look at it like - I wouldn't be eating healthily or exercising or generally LIVING if I wasn't on them.
So it's hard being on them, but at least I can LIVE whilst on them.
I think you just need to up your exercise and be really strict about diet. Diabetes medication also helped stabilise my weight.

@Shaz51 Yes, Type 2 Diabetic here, diagnosed approx 10 years ago, and controlled by diligence with my food intake.

2nd pregnancy developed gestational diabetes. Weight loss, lifestyle changes and sheer bloodymindedness brought it under control for a long time. 

The main influence of my decline from insulin resistance to T2 was improperly diagnosed and treated stress overload for too many years. My trauma reactions were incorrectly diagnosed as epilepsy and that was what I was heavily medicated for almost 40 years ago. 

Then when the PTSD was diagnosed, the anti-anxiety meds and anti-depressants followed, another devastating viral infection meant over a year of daily cortisone as well. The weight gain began then and for the last 15 years nothing has altered my weight more than within a 2 to 8kg fluctuation. 

While I can blame the meds for a number of my current health issues, I can also thank them for (literally) saving my life. All the neglected stress issues left me with exhausted adrenals, so I do what I can for that. 

In the end I have chosen to use the meds to get the problematic issues under control, researched up to date info in the area of diabetes (keeping carb content of each meal / snack under 50 carbs keeps my hba1c in normal levels), and put it into practice so I at least feel like I have some control over my own health. 

I hope this might help is some small way. I agree with Sherry too. 

Thank you @Former-Member, @Former-Member , and sending you hugs HeartHeart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.