Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

jamesle2015
Senior Contributor

flashbacks

Has anyone worked in a few jobs over the past 10 or 20 years?

I get 'flashbacks' from previous jobs...

I wish I didn't have them but I can't control it ...

I can 'see' the people who used to work there and I can recall some conversations ..

and this was from more than 12 years ago....

not negative normal conversation with some other people but it is strange I can remember

what they said ...

I can remember a very bad customer from a few years back in my current job...

it's easy to think if negative things from my current job....anyone who works facing customers

will know what I am talking about...

Why is it that negative things get stuck in my memory and I can remember it as

if it happened recently?

I worked in a few places....that must be part of the reason for the 'flashbacks'

does anyone else have these 'flashbacks'?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: flashbacks

I have at times had other flashbacks (related to PTSD), intrusive thoughts/memories, but wonder if what you are describing might be considered more like memories. It's just a thing that distressing or 'negative' memories can tend to be more powerful/memorable. 

Maybe see what you think about whether this article on 'negativity bias' is at least part of what you're talking about? https://positivepsychology.com/3-steps-negativity-bias/

(FWIW, I hate categorising stuff into positive and negative, trying too hard to overemphasise the positive, or describing people as 'positive' or 'negative'. But I think this concept/article mostly isn't doing that.) Even if the article is helpful in describing what you are experiencing, still feel free to talk about it it more if you like. 

Re: flashbacks

@Magpie2 that's a great website very interesting I'll have to spend some time reading

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.