Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Trying to be happy, isn’t working

Dear @Peri  I was just wondering, if you have considered volunteer work?

I have just been watching a program today about the loneliness of people in nursing homes and the depression that comes with it. I am sure you would be a blessing.

Dear @Former-Member ,

thank you for stopping by.  Yes I have considered volunteer work. But something has held me back. I don’t know what.  I love old people, well hardly surprising, I am one, but I think I would like that. Thank you 

peri

I volunteered briefly at a retirement village in the little cafe that they had. It was somewhere they could meet with friends or family. But my anxiety was too bad at that stage so didn't stay.  The hardest thing is making the decision to do it, after that you will love it. 

I totally agree with you @Former-Member 😊

Hi @Peri ... been thinking of you, and hoping you are doing okay. 🌸

Emelia 💕

Hi @Emelia8  I hope you are recovering well and kicking the big C backside!

i believe you working in nursing homes and would be well aware of the joy when a new face enters their world.  The program I saw was how kindy children joined the residents in play and interaction. So wish this was brought in across the country. The change was just incredible. 🌺

Hi @Former-Member ... its nice to see you again after some time away.

I am recovering okay now thank you.  Meant to see my radiation oncologist tomorrow, but flooding is going to prevent me from getting there.  Healing is still happening, and side effects from radiation not completely better yet.  Still very sore.  But I have a prosthesis now ... and its so much better.

Thats very true ... I have done volunteer work in aged care facilities for over 11 years and it brings a lot of satisfaction to me and obvious joy to the residents.  I seen on tele a few places now where they have kindy kids visit aged care homes ... its such a good idea.  Good for both the children and the oldies.  I too wish it could be brought in everywhere.  Things like that really do make a big difference to our older citizens lives.  They have very little to do or look forward to in their lives ... and things like that makes a very positive difference to them.  It gives them something to look forward to, when they would otherwise have nothing.  And the really sad thing is that many of those people have no family or friends near enough to visit them, so they really have nobody.

I really do wish you would consider doing something like that @Peri .  You probably have a council or state organisation which organises volunteers and places them in suitable positions.  I would encourage you to look into it.

Emelia 😊💕

@Emelia8  Sorry you are not able to attend the appt. But it is better to stay safe the floods have been terrible for you all. It is so very hot in Perth having 38 deg day after day. Just don't have the energy to do much. This may seem like a strange question but have you just moved to Tasmania? we have just booked to go in November/ December  

and on a site I was on....lets just say I thought a comment was you.

Yes thats very true @Former-Member .. the flooding is major around here right now. Everywhere right through here is just an inland sea of water.  So I am not going to be on the road if I dont have to.  Fact is, I am unable to leave my area anyway due to road closures.  I have inlaws in Perth and they told me its still been very hot over there.  Hopefully it will start to cool down over the next couple of weeks.  I find hot weather very draining indeed, especially when it so prolonged.  

No, I haven't moved to Tassie.  I have visited there several times though, and love it.  I'm glad you have made a booking to visit TAS in Nov/Dec.  I'm sure you will love it too.  I live on the NSW mid north coast, where all the current floods are devastating the community. Same place that was so badly savaged by bushfires some 16 months ago.  Our area has been hit very hard lately by natural disasters.  Its so sad to see so many people suffering so much.

Emelia 🌸

Oh Emelia you are having it rough over there. I hope no life's are lost.

The reason I asked was that I saw an aviator just like yours on a comment. I didn't want to say too much Incase people started to look for it. I have gone back to have another look and the Dolphin is closer to the water than yours.  Stay safe 🌺

Sorry @Peri if said too much 😔🌷

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.