Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Tips to deal with trauma memories

@Paperdaisy I underwent EMDR therapy for my primary trauma about 4-5 years ago and found it quite helpful. Mostly around the emotional aspects of the trauma. 

Actually I am soon to commence a new course of EMDR therapy in coming weeks.  Not specifically for my primary trauma,  but more for additional traumas relating to my C-PTSD. 

Hi @Shasan  I hope you are okay. 

Emelia

Hi @Emelia8 @Paperdaisy @maddison @AussieRecharger @BPDSurvivor  & anyone else I might have missed..

Thank you so much. You're all fantastic human beings and the world is a better place because you exist in it ❤️ I mean this, wholeheartedly!! I hope you know how amazing your generous heart is.

Thanks for the check-ins and the tips. I got busy and didn't get a chance to check the forum but it's been on my mind. 

So, therapist told me what I went through was re-traumatisation triggered by repetition of a specific trigger incident. Although it helped that we'd worked on the original trauma, there seem to be remnants and we'll try EMDR. The distressing feelings have significantly reduced but they're still there and it's natural.

I had to draw some kind boundaries and explain to the people why I couldn't hear more about a specific topic. They were understanding without invalidating/mocking me, so I'm very grateful for that. I'm sure they're traumatised or scared themselves too. 

Lots of great tools and tips here - I'm looking forward to practicing each one and have it ready in the tool kit when needed ❤️❤️

Before you go, I just created a new thread and if you have any thoughts or tips, would love your guidance and advise. I'm launching my dream and vision but feel pulled down by fear of judgement or something like that. May be someone here knows what's happening..  https://saneforums.org/t5/Something-s-not-right/Fear-of-judgement-amp-failure/m-p/1179431/highlight/...

@maddison you're exactly right !!! I didn't think of it that way - I never had the chance to feel scared or terrified in the original situation as I had to be the strong, logical who had to role model courage (it was actually one of my mom's delusions and any mention of anything barely supernatural freaks me out even now at 36 yo!!).

I just wanted to say a quick thank you to everyone.

I'm feeling a bit better and ready to take on new challenges. Knowing that there's a caring support system to return to is so heart-warming, I can't put my feelings into words right now.

Thank you for your support and for being there!! You've no idea how much you'll mean to me ❤️🙏🏽 

@Shasan  😄🌷🌻💖

Hi @Shasan ,

How are you? I was thinking about you and your mother.

How are you travelling? Have you been able to access any supports for yourself or your mother?

tyme

Hi @Shasan ,

I was passing through and wanted to share a hug and a hello! How are you going?

Sitting with you and looking to hear from you,

tyme

Hi, I seem to dissociate from reality to cope with traumatic memories. I don’t think this is the best method of dealing with trauma but it is a quick fix for me. I’ve trained my mind to think that the situation (trauma) is usual and that it is not that bad. Actually horrific but no, it’s ok. The trauma is someone’s manifestation of aberrant thought, merely a spiritual vision, somatic sometimes but I know it won’t last forever. The pain is merely a bodily reaction to assault. It does leave an impression sometimes but this is where I kick in to mind control and start reinventing the situation.

Psychosis- I don’t think so. Mmm…my every day life.

I hope this insight helps, keep smiling! 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.