Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Newly Diagnosed

Hey @salzie , just quietly I think the best therapists are those that know what it’s like to experience a mental health challenge. For me personally it is comforting and helpful that they get it. As long as you manage your own mental health I think it will be an asset not a problem. I’m sorry for your recent diagnosis and hope that you can find support through this. Best wishes. 

Thank you Teej that does give me a little bit of hope that my goals aren't unrealistic. It's been a dream since I was a child to become a psychologist so when I was diagnosed I was so frustrated with myself. Thank you for the support. I'm having a browse through numerous posts to get my head around all of this x

You are most welcome @salzie . I really hope that you find it helpful browsing. If you find a post that you want to respond to typing a @ symbol in front of the user name will usually send an alert to that member. Sometimes members have moved on but often you will receive a response that way. 

I really believe that just understanding and having insight you already do will make you a great psychologist. You will be able to plan for ways to look after yourself and your clients better. All the best. 

hello and welcome @salzie
I think @Teej has hit the nail on the head in saying the best therapists are those who have faced mental health challanges. It is hard to understand mental health and how it affects us unless youve experienced it yourself. Books dont really give lived experience.
If your good at it and your enjoying it then i would encourage you continue your studies and work on your goals.

Like you i have BPD and PTSD amongst others and also found it to be quite confronting and hard to process but it also was abit of relief to know that i wasnt crazy and what i was going through is real.

Ive forgotten if youve mentioned if you have any supports in place to help you?

@outlander thanks for the encouragement. Appreciate it. I think I'm over the shock now so that's making it easier for me to be a little tiny bit positive.

Supports wise I'm actually very fortunate to have 2 beautiful sisters who live across the road from me (also suffer mental health issues) but kick my butt regularly when I'm low. I do the same in return for them. I have a partner who struggles to understand my depth but is hilarious and helps me atleast smiles even in the darkness. Very blessed for that.

What do your supports look like? x

good to hear youve got good supports @salzie your sisters sound lovely and understanding and a partner who at least tries to understand but makes you smile nonetheless.

have you got some professional supports as well?

I have a fantastic doctor. The first not to rush me out their door which is good. I've recently seen a psychologist who was deadset batty herself. She combines drama with psych services and attempted to make me "throw anger out the window" by literally standing up doing actions and grunting.... I never went back. I already felt mental enough! 😂😂

Since then I've seen a psychiatrist for full assessment and now im on the hunt for a psych who's not going to try to make me act things out... Hard to find psychs in the country too.

glad youve got a good dr @salzie
hmm i think i wouldve changed psychologists too. a little strange but i guess it might work for some people!
good youve got a psychiatrist though!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.