Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Powderfinger
Senior Contributor

A problem between my doctor surgery and Medicare. Still have not been paid.

I had a doctor's appt on the 21st August. I paid $140.00 for the appt. The surgery stuffed up with my rebate and Medicare rejected it. My hands are tied. Medicare tells me they need to re submit the claim and correct the error do they can repay me. The surgery sent me a PDF showing me that they have written to Medicare asking for adjustments to be made. Medicare is telling me they do not make adjustments, they need to re submit a claim and put the reasons why. I'm telling the surgery that and they keep telling me they have sent in the PDF Medicare says they have not received anything. I am getting the run around. I'm do damn stressed now and no one is listening to me. I suffered financially as a result. I JUST WANT IT RESOLVED. I'm at my wit's end and just feel like breaking down when I think about it. 

Nobody is helping me. What the heck do I do to fix this. I just want my rebate. I'm never going to that surgery again. 

16 REPLIES 16

Re: A problem between my doctor surgery and Medicare. Still have not been paid.

Hi @Powderfinger 

Sounds like you are getting the run around. I don't know how you can resolve it but can sympathise with you. I pay for things and then get the run around from work cover. 

It is stressful and upsetting. 

Am around for a bit if you need to chat

Take care 

@Snowie 

Much too stressful and upsetting. I'm sorry you have similar challenges. I thought about my situation a bit more thus morning in my quiet time. I've decided to let it go. This money and situation is not worth my stress and anxiety anymore. Sometimes fighting for what us rightfully yours comes at too much of a cost and one needs to just let go. At the end of the day, thus sits with both Medicare and the surgery in question. It's in their own conscience. That is not my journey. I'm just letting go. I will NEVER go back to that surgery and if anyone ever mentions it and it's appropriate for me to speak about it, I will be telling them that the surgery is basically useless. It wasn't the first time they stuffed up, so I am done. 

@Powderfinger

Good you are clear on it. 

Maybe one day you go to the Medicare file and sort it then.

Tbh I believe all surgeries should bulk bill.  Some docs try and build up a "better" clientele, by refusing to the medicare at the desk.  I think it shows the wrong priorities and against the Hippocratic oath ... but ...lots swallow the rationale.

Smiley Indifferent

I had 2 of them as my clients once! Weirdly the only alternative therapist with a specific skill I needed worked from their rooms, so I have had "friendly" ongoing very occasional contact, as they set up practise as business and only attend occasionally. They are not bad people per se.  Medicine as business leaves a bad taste in my mouth ... but lots beg to differ!

@Powderfinger 

I'm sorry you have been mucked around like this. The practice should get it sorted for you though. 

@Appleblossom 

What do you mean by going to the Medicare file and sorting it? I live in a small regional town in WA. The closest big city to me is a 4 hour drive away, which usually ends up being about six hours as we stop for rests. There is not a single doctor here that bulk bills. It's just not done. It's unfortunate because it is needed. It's hard to get doctors to stay here long term. I'm just over it. I can't even seem to find a trauma informed doctor. I'm going to therapy today and will ask my therapist. 

@oceangirl 

Well, yes they should, but they aren't. I can't even deal with it anymore. It just is too stressful. 

I just meant I sometimes put off those tasks til later, file it away at home.  Thats all.

There is a lot of variation in access to medical care.  My family has siffered in that way. Regional areas really struggle.  Do what you can. Hope therapist works out.

@Powderfinger 

Smiley Happy

@Appleblossom I'm damn tired if this problem. I'm.over trying to find things. I'm over feeling my pain. I'm just pretty much over everything. 

Hey @Powderfinger, how are you travelling today? It sounds like there was a lot of frustration yesterday, I hope you've been able to get a bit of a break or a rest 🌻 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.