Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Word for the Day - Comfort or Play

I really like that idea of sometimes putting up images instead of words and asking us to write down the first thing they make us think of, @Razzle. Smiley Happy

What we've come up with tonight with the words should keep us going for a while hopefully, @outlander. Smiley Happy

@Owlunar, it was a cartoonish kind of scene, that one I described. And yes, now that I'm not being chased by a cow, it's a good memory. And, I have come to like cows now too. Smiley Happy

Little lambs are so lovable. I remember seeing a newborn lamb struggle to its feet for the first time when I was about the same age as my story. That was on the cattle station too. Actually it was a sheep and cattle station, a massive one. We lived in a little worker's cottage riddled with white ants. It only had three rooms, all small. Mum was the station cook and dad the station hand. He also was involved in breaking in horses. I was the only child there and did a lot of roaming around on my own, in and out of rooms of the homestead, as well as outside, mostly barefoot. I remember the burrs! I have vivid and fond memories of that time.

Dad had a sometimes wicked sense of humour that I always seemed to 'get'. He was great fun and I loved him enormously, though he was also dark and destructive at other times. He died in 2003. I love him just as much now, and still feel him around when I think of him.

@Mazarita

Great stories and great memories Maz - growing up in the country is a different experience - growing up when we did was different too - things were safer then - or were they? Whatever - I think we had more fun

My father was the senior policeman in a large area - the south end where we lived in the police house was suburban and now that continues well north of where we lived - back then it wa rural north of us and we used to play in a gorge - forbidden to go there of course but we went anyway - 

I was amazed at how different it was for the children who lived on the farms which was really not that far from where we lived - they went to the same school which catered for several different classes - and when we started high school they came to the high school where I was a student and it was great for all of us because we knew each other.

I loved being on the farms - I saw kittens being born once - Dad told me not to mention this to my mother who would have had a pink fit if she had found out - such things were beyond her extent of what she wanted me to know - as if she could protect me from the birds and the bees and the cats and dogs forever - strange person

I loved my father a lot - he was a very caring man - very strict though - and knowing his father it was a family thing - I was Dad's favourite - good at my studies and sport and a musician - I asked for a microscope when I was about 12 I think and I got one for Christmas - and I had a really good chemistry set as well - I think Dad would have given me anything he could afford

I wonder if kids have as much fun now as we had after WW2 - we were short of a lot of things because so much was rationed but Gran would take my brother and me to the park and she used to make us a "football" out of news paper wrapped tightly and brown papers around that and tied with lots of string. She didn't join in our "matches" but she encouraged us - somehow I feel that was much better fun than electronic games

This thread is bringing out lots of memories

Dec

Love hearing about your early life, @Owlunar. It's bringing up many more memories here too. Your Dad bought you a microscope. Mine bought me a telescope. That was when he won big on the greyhounds one time. He and mum were both gamblers after we came to the city when I was five. Right to the end of his life, my Dad used to tell me of the things he would buy me if he had the dough. He'd say he'd get me this or that, 'when he won tattslotto'. I never cared about getting stuff from him, but it was touching that he wanted to. Despite the terrible stuff we went through with him at times, I always knew he loved me.

@Mazarita

You never cared about the stuff Maz but it was important that your Dad wanted to - yes - I get that

My mother's father was a gambler and my mother was on a tight rein about it financially but she was into the pokies and couldn't go past a shop where they had scratching and tattslotto and quick pics and things and I wonder how much money she spent doing that - and it seemed to me that her wins which never compared to what she spent - the wins just made her so excitied.

If I was with her I would be mentally adding up what she was spending - and this would not have been when I was very young - but I was amazed and really didn't understand what she was doing until she was older.

But I don't think we missed out on anything - just that Mum couldn't seem to control herself about it - and it still makes my brain itch thinking about it

I have a lot of short stories about my life when we lived at the police station - actually they would have been the best 5 years of my life - it was exciting - we never knew what would be going to happen next

My headache is coming back so I think I should go to bed - it has been great chatting with you

Dec

@Owlunar, gambling is pretty baffling to me still personally. It's not one of the addictions I've had in my life. I understand that it is fully compelling to gamblers though, and have compassion for the effects on their lives. 

So cool that you wrote those short stories. I wonder if they would be non-specific enough to ever share here, perhaps on the 'writing as therapy' thread, which hasn't been active lately, but I still think is a wonderful thread. I'd love to read your writing.

It's been a great chat with you tonight too. Sleep well and hope you wake up headache free.

My mother was an early 1930s baby @Owlunar she ‘her father who had a good job with the railways died when she was young she and siblings grew up on bread and dripping ‘ there was no centrelink then , so not really sure what they lived on.. but they had a roof and clothes and food of sorts. .. like ‘underground mutton’ and their wits and kindness of others I suppose

Todays word is relaxation

@TAB@Mazarita@Owlunar@Razzle@Former-Member @utopia @greenpea @Sans911@Teej @Maggie  and everyone

@outlander  Very appropriate word for me today.

my day won’t start out very relaxing though, taking my mum to do some Xmas shopping - it’s not my most favourite time of year, and I HATE shopping of any kind.

This afternoon I have a hair appointment and THAT is relaxation.  It means I have to be touched but I’ve psyched myself up for that, and can even enjoy the head massage when they wash the colour out.  I do feel relaxed at the hair dresser.

A long soak in the bath with a good book is another way for me to relax 😴

Music often helps @outlander not always though.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HWn_Z8hCwd8

Thought this was a nice image for relaxation - great word for today! Excited to read everyones thoughts, feelings and tips on relaxation!!

Relaxing.jpg

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.