Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Melbcoffeesnob
Senior Contributor

Simple Ways to Stretch Your Money

G’day everyone,

Have you noticed that things are just getting more and more expensive these days; I know of many family and friends that are really struggling financially right now. Especially in the lead-up to the Christmas holidays when it can be heavy on the pocket. I thought it would be helpful to start a discussion on tips and tricks on how to make your money stretch that little bit further.

Here are a few of my tips that are currently helping me make my money last a little bit longer;

1. Op shops are awesome! 
  2. Shopping at Aldi, nearby local groceries or markets (it's a LOT cheaper)
  3. Try apps such as Shop Back and Cash Rewards app that give you money back just for doing your regular shopping through the app. They're completely free to use! 
  4. Getting generic brands of my meds. (Check with your doctor/pharmacist fif your medication allows you to do this)

I am really looking forward to hearing your tips and suggestions on how to save money. 

Much love, Melbcoffeesnob

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Simple Ways to Stretch Your Money

Hi @Melbcoffeesnob A great thread topic especially when everything just continues to go up.

D and I went to some op shops on Monday. Good retail therapy!

I always shop at Aldi first and then if I need anything else I go to Coles.

Even though it is more expensive at the time, I try and buy in bulk. It works out cheaper in the long run but need to fork out the money then and now.

I also write a shopping list and stick to it. I find it helps keep my shopping bill down and I'm not buying things I don't need.

I bake a lot too, especially with overripe bananas. They normally give them away as they can't sell them, so cheaper to bake then to buy.

I also have fuel watch on my phone so it tells you where the cheapest fuel is around where you live.

@Melbcoffeesnob @Snowie Sign up to some survey sites - half an hour a day adds up and you can get great rewards.

I also think utilising a current skill and equipment and using that to earn some cash. So for me I plan, when my car is fixed (because I currently don’t have one that can transport all of my things), is to get back to doing some cash jobs in mowing, Etc on weekends where I can

Also we always go op shops first if we can

The other thing you can do is the container deposit scheme in Victoria it’s 10 c per container but if you drink a lot of cans or soft drink it will help we drink plain mineral water so we like taking the bottles down to get cashed in even a few dollars makes a difference
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.