Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

outlander
Community Guide

Share the Dignity

Hello Everyone

ive been struggling so much to find a purpose in my life other than being a slave to everyone who knows me.

there is a charity that you may have heard of and its called 'Share the Dignity'

its to help women who are homeless get the basic necessities in life such as toothburshes and tooth pastes, sanitary items, shampoos and conditoners, and other things as well there are too many things to list.

my goal is to make 20 bags up.

each hand bag or back pack will inlcude:

1- pads
1-tampons
1-thongs
1- chewing gum
2- lollypops
2 recreos
1-water
1-poncho
1-hairbrush
5-hair elastics
6 pens- 2 of each colour
1- notebook
1- toothpaste
1- toothbrush
1- deodorant
10- cotton buds
1 soap
1- baby wipes
1-pk tissues
10- bandaids
1- nail cliper
2- nail files
1- shampoo
1-conditioner
1-hand lotion

i am allowed to write msgs to these women too and i would love if you guys had some ideas of what i can write that would be great. it only had to be something simple but id like it to help them or inspire them to make their lives better

26 REPLIES 26

Re: Share the Dignity

Hey @outlander. I'm glad I logged on in time to catch this.

Big enormous, giant, hugs to you for being you.

I don't think you'll get to hear a thank you from the women on the receiving end of your generosity. I can't thank the strangers who so thoughtfully put together packs like this that I received. So here's a thank you to you @outlander.

I don't know if you can imagine how touching it is to be given something like this. I remember so well, one of my favourite times during one of the worst times, was when we had a box like this arrive. We (the women I was with and I) put the kids to bed a little bit earlier that night so we could sit together and go through it. It felt like Christmas. We chatted, laughed (I put a mud face mask thing, left it on until it cracked everywhere, and looked totally horrific), shared stories, hugged - all around a little box from strangers. What was in the box meant so much, but that gift was so much more than what was in the box.

Gah I have goosebumps remembering it.

So thanks again Outlander, from the people you won't be able to hear say thanks, but who I have no doubt will appreciate it.

As for the note, the gift to me told me I was worth it. Maybe just a simple 'you're worth it' could work.

💗

Omg @CheerBear
You made me shed tears
Happy tears that is.
I dont know how to respond

@outlander I also been a recipient of these bags in the past. I was escaping domestic violent and was left homeless as a result. These bags are as @CheerBear said, a incredibly heartfelt and humbling gift. Thank you from the girls and ladies you will help with your generosity. I'm sure the bags will mean a whole lot to those who have virtually nothing. 

Thank you @Queenie
I can see this is the right choice
And you guys really do prove how much it means to others
I dont expect thanks i just want to help those in need.

Tears too @outlander, but good ones. You don't need to reply - just keep being you.

@Queenie 💗💕

@outlander. Great idea to get involved in.
As to a note - keep it simple.
From one woman to another
You deserve something for you
Keep going - you will get there
With love
etc.

I didnt know how much this would mean to people.
I cant imagine waking up and not being able to brush my teeth or realising the monthlies and not having anything to use.
Being on the streets and struggling for water or something to eat. .i know a lollipop or backet of biscuits isnt much but it might be enough for someone to just enjoy.

@outlander you have an amazing, tenacious spirit young lady. In the face of everything you go through, you're always encouraging and being kind to others. What a beautiful thing to do.

Like @utopia has suggested, keep your note simple.

A suggested note from me -
for someone who is beautiful beyond measure,
here are some simple things I hope you'll treasure,
I know you don't have so much
So I thought you might like this personal touch
To help you get through your day
And make you smile and laugh on your way

@Sans911 this is something i want to do. I wanted to do it last year but was in a difficult situation myself. Since ive got this seond job even half the pay i get from it will do at least 2 bags.

I like that one. I dont want all the notes to be exactly the same i want each one to have a more personal feel
No idea wgat tenacious means but i can only think its good so thank you
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.