Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Fee1
Senior Contributor

Interaction between melatonin and meds

Hi all, new to the Forum. Just wanted to see if anyone has had any problems taking melatonin. My doctor prescribed it to help me sleep but it seems to have reacted rather badly with my meds. I have stopped taking it and feel much better. Guess the proof of the pudding....

Has anyone else had any experience like this?

thanks

Fee1

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Interaction between melatonin and meds

Hi @Fee1, I answered you in the 'introduction' thread too. I've had long standing sleep problems. I only briefly tried melatonin and had a similar experience to you. These days I'm helped by an antihistamine recommended to me by my psychiatrist. I take it every night. It is not addictive, and can be bought over the counter. I take it for the drowsy side effect it has. It hasn't solved my rather extreme sleep issues but it has helped improve things. I can't state the name of the medication as it is against forum guidelines to mention medication names, only descriptive generic terms. This medication I am describing also has no discernible interractions with the three other psych meds I am prescribed. It was a bit of a 'last resort', after my doctors had already suggested other options. Wishing you well in your journey towards better sleeping.

Hi @Mazarita, thanks for that, very interesting. My mother takes an antihistamine when she cant sleep. Maybe I will give it a go. Funnily enough sleeping well at the moment. Best, Fee1

Hi @Fee1- I'm not sure I've said hello preoperly yet, so hello! 🙂

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like the melatonin was prescribed by your GP, have you had a chance to visist again and let them know about the reaction you had? Great to hear you felt better again after stopping taking it but I think it's always good to check with doc too if you can. 

Pebbles 🙂

Yes will check, thanks. What are all the different levels - moderator, community guide etc. Is that detailed anywhere @Pebbles? thanks

Hi @Fee1 🙂

I'm not sure if you have seen this page but there's lots of great information which can be found here

As for an explanation of the different titles. Forums moderators work behind the scenes reviewing posts. Within that link above you will find a discription of SANE forum language such as Community Guide etc. I've copied some of it here for you too. 

Member – a user of the SANE Forums who has registered. Members can post, reply, like and favourite posts and have their own user profile on the site. Each member has a ‘rank’ depending on how many times they have posted:

New Contributor – 0 posts

Casual Contributor – 3 posts

Contributor – 10 posts

Senior Contributor – 30 posts

Community Guide – Volunteer long time members who are instrumental in maintaining a productive and supportive community.

Hope this helps a little 🙂

Hi @Fee1, good to hear you are having improvements in sleep. 

I'll just add to @Pebbles explanation of the different forum 'titles', that I and a few others have been given the title 'community elder', which just means we are 'retired' community guides.

hi @Fee1

im on melatonin and it works wonders for me. iv been on it for a few years now. i would be able to sleep without it. but then again i am on another sleeping tablet too. but they both help.

Hi @Bubbles3. Thanks for your reply. I seem to be able to take melatonin about once a week and its ok, but not more. I couldn't get to sleep last night and I think it was because I hadn't eaten any carbohydrates all day. Hows your weekend going? Cheers.

I wonder why you cant take it. @Fee1

Im ok. Just having some family issues
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.