Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Hello Peer Guides 🙂

Hello everyone, I must say being a peer guide so far has been such an exceptional wholesome experience. 😀

1) What worked well for me would be opening up and expressing my story but also has helped me battle through some hard times recently. I have had issues with only working very casually lately and financial stress has been overwhelming but being part of such a wonderful community has helped me manage and also stay more positive.

2) What are you looking forward to would be connecting with people going through similar situations especially others with BPD and bouncing off one another and sharing stories. 

3) What would you say to someone looking to participate in the Peer Guide Program? There is so many benefits to participating, you meet and connect with others who have similar interest and goals to make a difference, you gain so much knowledge and learn a lot of powerful information and you also get to make a positive impact on others who are a part of this community but also are blessed with others making a positive impact on your own life.

Hello @Shaz51, thank you so much for starting this discussion and also sharing your story. 

I actually reached out to Sane at the end of last year when I had come across the website and forum. I was very touched by this community and felt really grateful to find a helpful online support group. 

Becoming apart of the Peer support program was really important for me as I live in a rural community that does not much to offer when it comes to mental health services and my goal is to bring more support and services to my rural town (especially focusing on youth.)

I have suffered with depression and anxiety on and off since around 15years old. Growing up wasn't the best of experiences for me in my household but I am very grateful to be the youngest of 4 girls and still to this day extremely close with them all and my nephews/ niece. Last year I went through an extremely terrible year due to living alone working big days and being very isolated and also being harassed in my workplace (the mines) and also then having it progress to out of work environments and being told to enjoy the attention over my complaints being taken seriously. This had led to old bad habits. I ended up unemployed, living with my sister as my full time carer and two nephews and spent most of last year recovering with limited support from professionals.

Fast forwarding to around April 2023, I finished my cert IV in mental health and have so much passion and desire to advocate for mental health. continue to study and grow my knowledge and training so I can have a career helping others and making a difference. I spent a long time trying to work out why I had gone through everything I did, and I know that my path and struggles happened so I can help others.

That's so incredible to read @MissLil . Thank you for sharing how the Peer Guide Program has benefitted you ( @Bon_courage @Jupiter , see above). I hear how lonely it can be living in rural areas. I can see how rewarding this experience has been to you.

Well done for sticking it out and launching into the deep! 

It's so great to have you with us!

ohhh sending you big hugs @MissLil 

, and we are here for you as you are here for us my awesome friend 

Thanks so much @Shaz51 for starting this thread and @tyme for the questions!

So wonderful to have you here @puzzlingdino @Ilovepenguins @MissLil @Blackbird11 @hluppy . Thank you for sharing a bit about yourselves and your experience of the Peer Guide Program. It has been amazing seeing the support you've provided already here on the forums.

For anyone who doesn't know, @Bon_courage is our fantastic Peer Mentor who is a qualified Peer Support Worker and is leading our Peer Guide Program 😊

@Shaz51  Thank you muchly. Its amazing how much support this forum has for everyone. We are all so lucky to be connected 😀

soo wonderful to have you here with us @MissLil , @Jupiter , @tyme , @puzzlingdino , @Ilovepenguins 

Thank you for sharing part of your story @MissLil 

I reflect often on the principle of mutuality. I feel really inspired hearing your words and am so grateful to play a small role in your journey of recovery. I congratulate you on your efforts. Sounds like last year was real tough! And yes fast forward to today and look how far you've come.

"Better Mental Health Services for the Bush" should be a slogan.

I'm am so grateful for being offered a position in the Peer Guide Program and the amazing support and guidance that @Bon_courage has offered me throughout the program! It has had a huge effect in keeping my recovery stable in a time where I felt uncertain about how to proceed with my career in peer support and some other hard personal circumstances that came up not long after starting the program, which could have completely derailed my recovery. 

The training component has taught and backed up so much valuable education, a lot of which I've never received out of the enormous amount of clinical therapy I've received over my life time! Reading and following Sane's policies and procedures has also helped to explain and back up my own values which has made me feel much more connected to the organisation and makes me feel that I really do belong in the program.

I've raved about the Peer Guide Program to everyone I know. I participate in the Parents Next employment program and my case manager has been amazed at the difference the program has made in me. This got them looking into the program and is now suggesting it to their other clients who may be interested 😁

I'm so eternally grateful for all the time and support that all of you amazing peers put in and offer to keep the forums up and running

@tyme @Shaz51 @Jupiter @Bon_courage

Thank you so much @Ilovepenguins  

It's lovely to read your words and to be part of your journey through the Program.

You use the words stability, that certainly resonates with me. I think we need it to move forward (it doesn't have to be physical) perhaps it reflects a state of capacity.

Just like when we tell ourselves "i can do this". The world is going to throw curved balls at us but we can manage and with a little support from likeminded people who genuinely care, the sky is the limit.

It is also very powerful to hear that the changes we feel are then reflected back to us, as is the case with your case Manager at the "Parents Next Employment Program". That is indeed simply wonderful.

I look forward to the next steps of the program. So glad to have you on board.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.