Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Good Morning!

One month's worth

Can't see yet will look later @Historylover 😸

Mostly managing if I keep myself busy, @TAB . Don't go splurging when you get your money. Just bank it and give it a lot of thought. Don't let it burn a whole in your pocket, as my mother used to say.

13° is colder than I thought for you. Not much we can do about it, is there? You used to run a heater at night? You're soft, @TAB!! 

@SmilingGecko I uploaded my electricity bill but couldn't attach any conversation. Still a lot of computer functions to unravel sometimes. Anyway, I'm rather proud of myself. Frugality pays. Have you applied for the $250 handout?

Our bills are around the same per day @Historylover theres no big spikes in my bill over the course of a year and that includes electric blanket for the bed and electric throw for my desk chair in winter.  I'm billed every 3 or 4 months and pay it off fortnightly via Centrepay as an automatic deduction from my disability pension. I turn all the switches off at the wall when I can.  I can guarantee your bill won't go up with an electric throw added.  I wear layers of clothing plus thermals for added measure

Oh! That's for 3-4 months. Well, we are both frugal! The electric throw sounds good. I'll have to look into it. 

Morning @TAB 

Likewise for you 🙂

Yes its for 3-4 months. When you told me you paid around $70 I wondered how could that be.  I'm paying around $65/month and that includes using electric throw as I said.  I have calculated the cost of using this electric throw and its virtually nothing compared to running a heater @Historylover An environmental scientist taught me how to calculate the costs of having an appliance on. Here are the calculations she gave me:

How much do your appliances cost to run? You need to know this to keep bills down
You need to know 3 things to work out how much your appliance costs to run which will be explained in further detail below:

* How much electricity the appliance uses in watts - convert this to kW
* How many hours you use the appliance
* The rate that you pay for electricity (convert this into dollars)

So, to identify how much electricity an appliance uses look for the label on the back of the appliance showing the Watts (W).
1000Watts = 1 kW.
Most new appliances have an energy star label. The number in the red box on the energy rating sticker tells you how many Kilowatts (kWh) the appliance will use in one year. Try and purchase an appliance with the lowest number of kWH you can afford.

How many hours is the appliance used? 3 and a half hours = 3.5 hours, 3 and a 1/4 hours = 3.25 hours

The rate is found on the back of your electricity bill in dollars, check the tariff price
Therefore for example if you had a 2000Watt (2kW) heater and ran it for 6 hours each day, it would cost $3 per day, the maths are:

You convert 2000Watts to kW ie 2kW
multiply by hours used 6 hours
then multiply by tariff on the back of the bill
2kW x 6 hours x $0.25 tariff = $3 It will therefore cost $3 per day

Push enter a couple times after pic seems to work @Historylover
Yes colder than I remember re here. Yes, soft re heater ha ha

$2.50 a day is pretty good @Historylover when in house was doing at least $5
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.