Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: involuntary treatment

FYI article on the use of physical restraints in MH and related trauma.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-05/mental-health-patients-still-being-strapped-down-in-austral...

@Eden1919 wrote:

Has anyone ever experienced it? I have more than once and i was wondering what other peoples experiences with it are....

For me it was not a good experience and at times i believe was not needed but it happened and i find people dont often want to talk about this as it is a touchy subject. i guess i am just wondering if i am alone with this or not. but also please feel free to share your story or not no one has to but it would be nice to know that people understood. 

Hi Eden191,

i was placed on an involuntarily assessment order and refused transport in June last year. Police

and ambulance were called and I was frogmarched in handcuffs down a busy CBD street into an ambulance to emergency and then transferred to an outer Surban HDU seven hours later. It was my first interaction with the public mental health system, aged 47. At the time, I was mentally distresed, but had not been diagnosed with a mental illness before. The CATT teams clinical assessment of my presentation was based on a thin and incomplete patient screening from 4 days of intermittent engagement with a CATT Occupational Therapist . When I refused a community assessment, they concluded I was bipolar, experiencing a manic episode, that I could not form judgement and needed protection from

myself. The order was not supported by family or friends. It was the most traumatic experience of my life, and one I doubt I will ever recover from. Nine months later, I am suffering acute PTSD, including nightmares, sleeplessness and fear of places. My successful professional career is over, and many family and friends have abandoned me. The incident was so traumatic, that I find it difficult to travel through the CBD, a place where I lived and worked for 20 years, because this is where they took me away. I freeze when I hear an ambulance or see a policeman.  

I know I now need mental health support to recover from post trauma caused by the admission , but I am so fearful of ending back there, that I am finding it very difficult to trust the system.

Could anyone recommend a treating psychologist who has experience supporting patients who are suffering ptsd from an involuntary admission? I live in Melbourne. 

Many thanks

Hi @Tukimum,

I am so sorry to hear how traumatic that experience was for you. I can definately understand your fears when reaching out for support. It is great that you have come through here as there are many peers to connect with. 

Unfortunately, as part of forum guidelines members can't advise of specific professionals for anonymity and safety reasons. Rather, we can share useful resources or broader support services that helped us find great professionals. 

Have you tried calling a helpline to see if there are some referrals you could get once they understand the context of your situation? You could try beyondblue, they have a good resource here and you can also call them 1300 22 4636

Other helplines:

SANE Australia 1800 187 263 (open 10am)

Lifeline: 13 11 14 or Crisis Chat

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.