Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Life can be a Pain

Dear @Owlunar 

I havent been posting that much this past week ... feeling quite emotionally exhausted with all that revealing stuff on my own thread last week I think.  It was all quite draining.  

I have been meaning to get back to your post to me here on 27th May.  I have had the notification held in my email inbox as a reminder to get back to you on it.

Firstly, I'm sorry that you felt teary at my reveals around DV issues, and losing a sense of self.  I'm sure it happens a lot to many people.  Yes its pretty hard trying to be all things to all people, and losing track of who you are yourself.  I think I did that a long time ago.  True ... I am my husbands property and little more than that. I have tried in the past to be a little stronger and stick up for myself, but unfortunately it only results in repercussions that I dont wish to go through again.  Its really hard.  So in the end ... I just let things be by keeping the peace as much as possible and towing the line.  Since he has become so unwell these past couple of years though ... I am beginning to exert a little bit of control.  Partly because he is not always capable of making decisions.  He is looking more and more to me to make decisions now and take responsiblity for everything.  So when things go wrong .. then naturally its all my fault.  But there again, it was before too .. even when I had no say in things.  So no different there really.

A classical pianist ... how lovely!  Wow ... I love classical music, and have lots of CDs.  What a shame that your arthritic hands now prevent you being able to play very much.  I imagine being able to play the piano or keyboard would be very soothing if it werent for the arthritic hands. 😔  At least you are still able to play occasionally, and perhaps its even good for the purposes of maintaining some flexibility in the fingers and hands.

Wasnt it nice to hear from @Zoe7  yesterday!  I was very relieved, as I'm sure were a number of other members.

Okay, thats it from this week-old post from you.  I will get back to you soon, via a seperate post, on your recent updates about your shoulder.  Again, I'm sorry it took so long to respond.  I've just been a bit quiet lately.

Sherry 💕

@Owlunar  Hey Dec sending you kind and caring wishes my friend. Lots of love peaxx

thinking of you lots @Owlunar ❤🧡💛💚💙💜💓💗💖

@Owlunar 

Virtual Hugs to fill up your insides and for least pain.

You still made me smile with your descriptions.

Heart

I dont doubt you understand wots going on.  SOmetimes medicos can be patronising, and sometimes they are good.  Hope your respect you.  Conservative Least harm sounds sensible to me. The shoulder is an intricate joint.

Gently Bently

@Owlunar 💜💛
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Owlunar 

Thank you for yesterdays update re your shoulder. It sounds bad, unpleasant, frustrating and an absolute pain to say the least.

I dont blame you for not opting for the surgical option.  I was advised a year or two by both my orthopedic surgeon and my neurosurgeon that my best option for my back injury back in 1999 was surgery.  The ortho suggested a spinal fusion and the neuro suggested a discectomy.  I was so scared about doing either.  I was not yet 40yo at the time and was afraid about all the worst-case scenarios.  Of which there were many.  I opted for conservative treatment ... lots of physio, anti inflams, suitable exercise program, learn way so as not to exacerbate things, etc.  So I understand your choices in that regard, because I did the same for my injuries. I'll admit there have been times when I've unable to move without screaming in agony, that I've wished I had the surgery. But mostly, I'm happy with my decision. Especially since everything I've read recently, the latest best advice is to avoid surgery for most back injuries.  It should be a last resort only.

Actually, given my own shoulder injuries and tendon damage, I suspect I may well have serious issues as I get a little older too.  Certainly I have constant mild to moderate pain in both shoulders, and sometimes it flares up worse.  But I do lots of exercises which is meant to keep things at bay, and hopefully thats the case. I have had injections in my shoulder in the past, and it worked a treat.  Hopefully that will be the case for you too.

Ouch ... the maxi taxi bumpy ride sounds more like a Disneyland joy ride.  I'm glad to hear that you were able to get yourself something for dinner at any rate, and that a good sleep Monday night helped with your distressing emotions. Shame about the messy kitchen, but I'm sure thats all sorted by now.

You're so right, and I have heard that before, old age is NOT for sissies or sooks.  But there is definitely a place for entitlement for some sympathy and understanding.  Good to see that you rewarded yourself with a good nourishing hot pot for your lunch yesterday.  Dont you just love winter cooking!  Soups, casseroles, hotpots .. throw it in a pot and let it do its thing.  Then before you know it ... voila ... a yummy hot nourishing meal.  And enough left over for another quick and easy meal later in the week.  perfect.

You were feeling a little better yesterday, and yet I dont think you've been around much today.  I hope you are still okay today.  Perhaps you've had a busy day doing something exciting?  Last you said, was that you were seeing your GP after your latest post.  I hope that went well?

Talk soon.  

Sherry 🌺

I know you like skies, because you have photographed and altered some real beauties.  Although I am not as clever as you with your camerawork and work with filters etc, I found these and thought you'd enjoy them.

Image result for Beautiful Sky Photography

Image result for Beautiful Sky Photography

hello @Owlunar 

how are you today , thinking of you soo much my second mum xxxxx

I'm wondering how you are too @Owlunar ❤️
hi 👋 @Shaz51 ❤️

hello my sister @BlueBay Heart

Hi @Shaz51 @BlueBay @Former-Member @outlander @Appleblossom 

I haven't written anything over the weekend and Friday was a bad pain day - I actually wore a sling when I went to the supermarket with my helper - I really like to do my own shopping and emotionally I feel better doing that - I have spend the weekend caring for myself and taking things easy - preparing for the injection on Wednesday - the day after tomorrow - and not worrying about anything - putting off the idea that I will freak out on Wednesday when the time comes - which is what I do - even if I do keep it to myself and wish I had my dark green blankie. Sometimes I rattle off jokes with the people around me and that eases the situation - I am not looking forward to it but at the same time I am giving myself the best chance of having this injection work.

Seeing the picture of my MRI was a heart-and-mind-blasting-moment - perhaps it would be better if I didn't understand all these things but I do and I think I cope better because I do - and I keep learning. There is so much damage in that joint and still I never give up. Having an operation would be a major inconvenience I am not prepared for - a week in hospital and then - I would come home alone but I have domestic help. My firm belief is that I get over things better because I am alone - I have been there twice before but again - no thanks - 

I am not an optimist - I am a glass half-empty person but my attitude is that I look at what's left and fully intend to get the best of everything available from what time I have left - and if I know the worst then of course I will never be disappointed - it works for me - anyhow.

This morning I felt like staying in bed but I got up and attended to morning tasks and sat down with my coffee and watched recorded TV and went to sleep for hours - wonderful - that was a wonderful way to pass the morning - it's a lovely sunny day but really cold here

I will answer people individually - it's easier that way - but thanks everyone

Dec

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.