Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Wanting to be alone but not lonely

I've gotten myself caught up in this cycle of feeling so horribly lonely but still wanting to be alone. I feel so sad and lonely always but if anyone rings I can't bring myself to answer the phone, and if anyone texts asking if I want to catch up I panic and think of an excuse not to go.

The isolation is getting worse and worse and I don't know how to get past it. I'm so afraid to go out and bump into anyone I know. There's only certain people I feel comfortable around (just two). My pdoc tells me isolating myself is going to delay my recovery but I just don't know how to go back to my "normal" life.

I feel like a turtle hiding in its shell. I want to be in there all alone but the feeling of loneliness really aches after a while. Does anyone else feel this way? I feel very alone and misunderstood. i feel guilty for fobbing people off all the time and ignoring their calls. Things that used to be easy and come naturally to me have now become so so hard...

I hope to hear from anyone who feels the same or has some kind of suggestions for me to get past this. I refuse to be like this for the rest of my life but I don't know where to go from here
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Wanting to be alone but not lonely

I sometimes feel the same way. Unfortunately I don't have any good answers, but just wanted to let you know that I can relate. 

Thanks @TheVorticon. I'm sorry you sometimes feel this way too.

Hi @Former-Member, do you live in a city or country area? The reason I ask is that I have been helped quite a lot with this problem by being accepted into a Phams program. They allocated a support worker to me who has visited every couple of weeks for the past 18months, helping me with getting out of the flat and more engaged with the community and other people. I still have the impulse to withdraw, and still do, but nowhere near as much as I used to a few years ago. It may however be easier to access Phams in urban areas than country areas, I am not sure.

Aside from that, I guess the way it has worked for me to come out of my shell to whatever extent I have, is taking one small step outwards at a time. Another way to look at it is that it's like gently stretching the envelope on what we can and eventually feel comfortable doing again. For me this is an ongoing process of self-rehabilitation, with some support structures in place to help (eg. GP, psychiatrist, support worker, more friends than I used to have).

I now have a small daily diary to help me structure my time better, where once everything was kind of mushy and I'd end up doing nothing. If I see something that I might like to do outside of home, I write it in my diary with a question mark. It doesn't even really matter if I don't do the thing, just the process of writing it down seems to help me overall be readier to do maybe other things.

I wonder if any of this makes any sense to your life.

Either way, I do relate to your situation and wish you well. Smiley Happy

Good Morning @Former-Member, I can really relate to your situationHeart As I read it it sounded like my own mind! I am desperately lonely, and I often find myself thinking 'how can there be so many lonely people, why don't they just get together', but I always end up answering myself, because I know how I feel; for many years I have said 'I don't like people', that I'm afraid of them. But I crave people, I want people - I think the truth is I just can't trust people, and if I delve a little deeper into the truth - I just can't trust myself. I don't believe I can react in a way that is socially acceptable and think I will always be rejected. I'm tired of all the rejection, avoidance or sickly sweetness.

I think Mazy has a great suggestion, to help yourself you may need to be strong enough to allow others to help you. I was offered help, more along the lines of household tasks; and I really would like help mowing the lawn for instance, but I can't allow myself to have anyone know where I live - it would be pretty hard to help someone with their lawn . . . if you didn't know where that lawn was! 🙂

I got worse than fobbing people off, I started verbally attacking them - it works . . . they leave you alone.

I can't believe anyone being nice to me, I convince myself it's a con and keep waiting for the crunch, or the punch, or whatever it is that they're planning to use me for.

And yet I also believe that the average person is just that, . . . average - not particularly evil nor particularly good; all going through fears and doubts, trials and triumphs. So I guess my only advice for you is to seek out whatever positive experiences you can. The only person that can help you is you. Your courage and will is the most neccessary element in seeking the help you may need.

Lots of gentle hugs for you NooksHeart

You are not alone.

Thank you so much for your thoughts, both of you

@Mazarita I am in a city area, I looked up phams. I feel like I'm in a hard place because I'm still functioning like going to work etc so I think that I wouldn't be suitable for something like phams? I saw something written by another member last night about "high functioning depression" which I hadn't heard of. I looked it up and thought - that's me. I go to work, perform at work, I have my professional face on and do my job. But outside of work I'm just this sad anxious lonely person. And being this way I think makes it even harder for family to understand - my mum says I don't need hospital because it's not like I can't even get out of bed and go to work, my partner says "there's people way worse than you, you'll be right". And as for getting help, it seems like I'm not "sick enough". But why do I have to wait until I stop going to work and stop leaving the house completely to get help? Why do I have to wait until I have an actual plan for S rather than just not caring if I were to live or not? The system seems kinda stupid. I want to get better before I get sicker.

Anyway. I've made a plan for today which involves going to the shops to buy ingredients to make a cake. Otherwise it would just be couch time! Also I've made a deal with myself to do a yoga or Pilates class at the gym this week. I haven't been in over 2 months. I will go to the gym I don't normally go to so I don't have to see anyone I know but it's a start right? It does feel better having a plan. Even if I don't end up doing it, the option is there. Thanks for that @Mazarita

@Former-Member I have similar feelings of not reacting appropriately in social situations. I think about stuff over and over again afterwards, like "does that person understand that I mean A and not B?" And often I worry that people think that I'm talking about myself too much and that I sound up myself, I'm constantly thinking of what to ask the person so that I sound interested in them but then don't want to sound inappropriate, oh my goodness it's so exhausting it's just easier to not talk! And on top of this I have intrusive thoughts that are totally inappropriate and nothing I would EVER act on. When they pop into my head it's always when I'm having a conversation with a female and then I automatically think "what if they can read my mind?" Even though I KNOW that they can't... it's very draining.

I have to say I haven't yet verbally abused someone, I can imagine that would work quite well to make them stay away... I'm more of an avoider/hider I guess.

Thank you both @Former-Member and @Mazarita for sharing your experiences with me and making me feel less alone. I'm really glad I joined the forum, it's my main form of connecting with people at the moment. I don't know how I'd be otherwise 💕

Hello @Former-Member 🙂

I think over-thinking is over-common. I had a Doctor tell me once, my thoughts weren't the problem, everybody has thoughts good and bad; my focus on particular thoughts wasn't healthy, your supposed to think the thought and let it go to move on to the next one. Sometimes a thought gets stuck in my head, it goes round and round and warps all out of proportion. I convince myself that I know things that I don't, that there are absolute truths that simply aren't there. I understand that drain.

But on a more positive note, your right, making plans is a brilliant start - whether you go through with them or not; I think it's all a part of positive thinking. I couldn't tell you how many plans or for how long I planned a little camp trip - but I can tell you I actually did it (not that long ago) . . . and it felt incredible 😄

One of my beliefs is that if you never give up on something, you never fail at it. As long as it's there, somewhere in the back of your mind, it's still achievable.Heart

No advice sorry @Former-Member, but I can relate.

Just tonight I was meant to go to a friends awards ceremony but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Made up an excuse and now I'm sitting on the couch watching Home and Away feeling lonely even thought I wanted to be alone. Hmmm

it's a tough cycle hey @Billamba
Do your friends understand?

I met up with friends on Saturday night and since then I'm convinced that I've said the wrong thing and upset them. I keep trying to bring myself back to the facts but I just can't quite convince myself that everything is fine.

Can I ask you, do you mind your own company or do you feel sad when you are alone? You don't have to answer if you don't want - I know we haven't met before now .... enjoy your night in with the folks from summer bay anyway.

Nooks

Hi again @Former-Member 🙂

I don't think so. I often think it's something you have to live to 'get'. I have one friend who understands, she lives it too, but no one else. Even my family don't seem to understand.

I completely get what you mean about your experience Saturday night. I can spend days and weeks freaking out over things like that. Dont really know how to suggest getting past it. Could you check in with the people involved and ask them outright? I'm sure it's fine but for your own piece of mind?

Sometimes I enjoy my own company, normally if I've spent a lot of time with people and I'm 'peopled out'. But the rest of the time I just feel sad. Sometimes I just won't get out of bed (unless it's to go to work). What's the point? But then I want to be alone too and I don't plan anything so it's my own fault.
How about you?

Onto House Rules now and later 24hours in emergency. Hmmm not very exciting but it will get me through until bedtime.
What are you doing?

Billamba 🙂
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.