Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

janedoe2
Senior Contributor

Starting Supported Employment

I starting work tomorrow. Excited and anxious. Anyone have any tips to get through day one?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Starting Supported Employment

Sounds exciting! A big tip is to be open minded towards your new employment. Is it a physical labour type job or is it something light on the body?

Hi there @janedoe2

Wow that is exciting, well done on your new job. I would say eat a good breakfast and lunch, drink lots of water and try to breathe. It is likely it will be quite overwhelming as you will be learning lots and meeting new people so be prepared to be quite exhausted at the end of the day, so maybe go to bed early and eat something yummy and healthy after your big day 🙂

Look forward to hearing about it!

Lunar

Great advise! Have done most of it. Just up to the resting, eating something yummy and getting to bed early.
It has been a busy day but it was nice to achieve a hard days work.

That's great @janedoe2 well done! 🙂

Have been working part time for three weeks now and am doing my best to balance the work/home life. I am finding that I need to relax when I physically need to even when my mind is running at a pace I find difficult to keep up with.

It is a great feeling earning a little money and I have the support I need if I need it.

Looking forward to more adventures in the working world.

Experienced some unusual pressure yesterday at work but was able to have healthy, positive and calming self talk and restored my composure.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.