Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Protective factors

I coach @Christheart  but it’s best I don’t elaborate due to privacy.

Another thing I have for protection is a little pink bucket with cards in it with my goals written on them. This is my bucket list.

@Captain24 my dog is a protective factor too... 🐕 

@Eve7 oh I see. But that is amazing that you are a coach. This means you became so good at something you could teach others. Well done ❤

That's a good idea. I saw something yesterday about making a crisis box or a crisis plan, having a little box with your reasons for staying alive in there.

Hi @MDT 

The community mental health nurse called the things stopping me from committing suicide 'protective factors' 

When I was at the point of suicide and I didn't go through with it, she asked 'why?' My reason was, I can't leave this debt to my mum. And, my mum needs me. 

So she called these things protective factors, cause they are strong enough to stop me from doing something that I really want to do. Which obviously it would be a lot better if I didn't do. I guess it's hard because the protective factor needs to be strong enough to outweigh the torture of the mental illness. The unbearable torture of the mental illness. So if a factor stops you from going through with it, it's protecting you from doing that. Which is funny, because it doesn't really feel like protection, it feels like an annoying thing stopping me from what I really want to do, and I wish it wasn't stopping me, but it is, which is actually protecting me! Being mentally ill is weird and like backwards land...truly... 

I think there are broader meanings of 'protective factors' in health care too, like proper sleep, adequate nutrition, emotional support ect... 

@Christheart  I have a hope box. I made it at a support group for folks who have attempted suicide. It’s got things that give me hope, things to look forward to. 
🎀

I see @Christheart
I like that concept a lot
I should look into it as SI is something I am struggling with lately
I rang lifeline yesterday 2 times.
Been calling them a lot and its really helping me in crisis moments. But also too I think this idea of protective factors is a good one

See you around

@Bow I should make something like that. I think it would be really hard because I don't want to cling to things of this world, I want to let them go so I can go. But at the same time to protect my life I need to cling to the things of this world. It's so confusing. 

@MDT yes, it does help a suicidal person stay alive I think. Atleast in my situation it is keeping me alive long enough to see what treatment is available when I see the psychiatrist on 7th July. Then after that if I am put on a new medication the protective factor might be 'wait 2 weeks to see if any effect comes from this medication' then at the end of that 2 weeks... re assessment of torment vs protective factors. Hopefully the reasons to live start to outweigh the mental torment!!

Know what you mean @Christheart  😢 

Sending you love and prayers @Bow I hope tonight is being kind to you ❤🎀

@Bow @MDT @Eve7 @Captain24 @tyme 

Good morning guys

I went to church this morning. I wasn't going to get out of bed but mum made me.

We were 20 minutes late but when we got into the nice warm building it was nice, and I was glad I got up. 

I hope you all have a nice Sunday. X

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.