Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

NicK
Contributor

My past experience with depression & anxiety may be hurting my potential for employment

I have applied for a job and they responded asking me to provide transcripts from high school.

The year I graduated was my first year in Australia. It was a very difficult transition for me. I did not do well in Year 12.  

Whenever I reflect on that year,my heart sinks. I know I could've done better, but I know that it's not something I have control over anymore. 

I'm afraid of my high school results will affect my application for the position. 

I am willing to provide an explanation, but am unsure how to go about it - whether it is best to explain over the phone or to include the explanation in an email to their HR. 

Can anyone give me advice on how I should go about this situation?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: My past experience with depression & anxiety may be hurting my potential for employment

Hello @NicK

That sounds quite stressful, legally your employment cannot discriminate against you if you have a mental illness, so I would look into that if that is going on and get some legal advice from Legal Aid

As far as your high school results, are you able to contact your school and get them to asist you with writing a letter reference for you to put alongside your resume, have you tried that at all?

Lunar 🙂

Re: My past experience with depression & anxiety may be hurting my potential for employment

Hi Nick,

2 things.

1. Could you speak to your employer, maybe the HR department and honestly explain your situation. The majority of employers these days are understanding in regards to mental illness and if they aren't well then that's a legal issue.

2. If you really feel as though your employer would be willing to discriminate against you, is that a company you want to work for? I know personally that I would only work for a company that had my mental wellness as one of their top priorities. If you've experienced mental illness I feel like you would want and deserve the same.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.