Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

outlander
Community Guide

Life after hospital

Hi guys ive just spent the last week in hospital in the mh ward.
Im having trouble finding my feet
Can anyone give me some tips?

@CheerBear @Former-Member @oceangirl @STORMGRL101 @Former-Member @Queenie @Former-Member @BlueBay
113 REPLIES 113
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Life after hospital

Hey @outlander,

How have you been? I've not kept up with sane forums recently so I don't know what's going on.

How was hospital? Was it helpful? What was your experience like?

What would you like to know about life after hospital?

Hi @outlander

Am hoping you hospital stay was helpful for you. My tip is to get into a routine and plan to get out of the house each day. Take care ❤️

Hi @outlander, I hope the hospital stay was okay and that you are doing a bit better. 

My tip is a lot like @oceangirl's... work hard to find a healthy routine and aim to achieve something each day. You have D and I am sure she has missed you, work on forming close bonds with her as it will be something rewarding I'm sure. If you do this, it will bring positive meaning to your life, which is something I've always searched for in the days/weeks following a hospital admission.

Take care of you.

Day 1

SO MUCH CHAOS!!! and VERY DISTRESSED

my Gp called an ambulance which made me an involuntary patient. I waited at my drs surgery for over an hour for an ambulance. My phone kept ringing and ringing and ringing and a heap of msgs which was making me a lot more distressed than I already was. There was another argument between the bf and my gp which again didnt help me at all. I waited in the observation room at the hospital for 9 hours!!! before I was eventually taken to a MH unit. In the 9 hours I was monitored by security, seen a community psych and then the hospital psych as well. I had a gp come in and ask about general wellbeing and the nurses monitored as well checked bp etc every so often.
As you can imagine there was ALOT of just waiting around and I had no phone or anything when I got to the hospital. I just had enough time to tell mum I was being observed and then transfferred and to get a friend to look after my new horse for me and that wa sit after that I ahd nothing.
My options were that day were to either coperate and go to hospital or dont cooperate, call secutiy and get taken to hospital. I wanted as little fuss as possible so opted for option one both times I was asked, I pretty muhc had accepted my fate by then. So I got to the MH unit by about 8-9pm, got my meds sorted and done the initial workup and then was shifted off to bed at 10pm

DAY 2

this was a more boring day and not something im use to at all! I had my first meal in almost 48 hours as well, it was very little but I suppose better than nothing. I read 10 magazines and did a lot of drawing. I finally got to have a shower but lucky for me I borrwed a hospital gown lol. I was the only one there on friday and saturday and it wasnt until early sunday morning someone else was there besides me. Someone finally brang me up some stuff so I could get changed and wasnt bored out of my mind.
At least I was allowed to use the phones through the day so that was good. People were asking me where I was and how tog et to me and I said I dont know. I didnt and it wasnt until I was discharged I realsied what part of the hospital I was in as I came through the ED.
This night was a lot harder. Everything began to dawn on me in full force of where I was and what I was there for. I had a lot of anxiety this day as well. Again I think everything was beginning to dawn on me. But I was medicated and at least those are sorted now too.

DAY 3

I was quite sick today esp in the morning. I was very nauseous and had to keep running to the bathroom but thats all it was. Just a feeling. My anxiety was in full force yet again. I asked the nurse what could be done and I was given one of my prn meds to help calm to nerves abit which helped then I went back to being a zombie again. I did a lot of drawing as well and there was another person there and I had abit of chat with her- just about life stuff and we watched a movie- again just background noise. My mother and her bf had a big reality check and when I was speaking to them it was like opening a new door! It was like wow it took until this long for you to give a hoot and actually believe me and that this wasnt some sort of attention seeking thing. They actaully asked how can they help me when I get out.

Day 4

I again had a lot of anxiety during the night and was given another one of my Prn meds and they eventually started to kick in. I had a chat to 2 psychiatrists, a psychologist and also my normal psychiatrist came and visited me as well. They said I was ok to go home if I wanted to but I declined but they changed me to a voluntary patient instead of involuntary. I had a lot of anxiety through the day as well. I sat down with a nurse though and got them to help me formulate a plan as to where to go from herewhihc was quite ahndy and I think its simple enough to follow through with now. So today was quite a busy and productive day despite the anxiety

Day 5

I had quite a lot of anxiety in the morning and again took a prn which helped me take the edge off things

it wasnt until after 1 that the pych assesment team came back in and they gave me the all clear to go home. So in the meantime I did some drawing again and ended up filling my whole art book up

I got home about 3ish

I told my friend who was looking after my horse that I was out of hospital and I would catch up with her. I caught up with her about 5pm and wow she knows how to hug! Gosh it was just what I needed! The last time she knew was ' im being admitted to hospital can u please look after my horse until im out? I dont know how long ill be here” thats all I could write in the state I was in but its good to know I have some supports now. My mum her bf my pop and sisters all got a reality ceck and realised how much ive been doing and are big more supportive now. They also realised this wasnt a game I was playing nor was it an attention seeking thing either.
They arent going to throw out my meds and are going to help me move forward starting by giving me more time to myself instead of caring for everyone and everything 24/7.

so al in all despite not wanting to go to hospital, I think it was well worth going and that the first 3 days I really needed to be there. It was the safest and smartest thing to do and I understand that now.

@Queenie@oceangirl@Former-Member

so really the main thing that im struggling with is to actually get back into some sort of routine.

i cant seem to find my feet again

how long did it take you guys to get back to a semi normal living state after a hospital stay.

this one is my first and i dont really know how to proceed from here.

The first time for me coming home was really difficult, especially after finding so much support there. At home I'm alone. Routine is important but I found I never stuck to my discharge plans. I think the first week really sucks (I got out 3 days ago). I just really sit down each day and say what do I want for me today? It might be different to every other day! unless you HAVE TO do things, just really look inside and see what you need for you on the day. I think it took me about 2 weeks to feel remotely human. A month and I was back to normal but a better normal! And don't give yourself a hard time if things aren't so great. I call it learning to float! I don't have expectations, I just do some self love even when I felt unlovable!

This was not my first admission!!

hi @Koko firstly welcome to the forums 🙂

thank you for your response.

my discharge plans are pretty simple:

1. see my gp weekly

2. continue to see my psychiatrist

3. see a psychologist

4. rebuild the lost relationships

5. get a stable homelife

the things i really need are to learn how anxiety actually works even subconciously, the ptsd and depression as well. to be able to better manage them i think i need to go further into it and really learn about it and understand it more.  but at the moment i just need to find my feet first. thats the first step.

so i need to get into a routine....

and just learn to float for a bit....

yeah i dont really feel 'normal' its a weird feeling. its like floating between the person i was and the person im becoming- if that makes sense

@outlander. So glad you got a hospital stay when you needed it. And that now your family understands you and your needs a bit more.
Coping outside hospital? Hmmm. I know what I'm meant to do - but doing so is a lot harder.
Yes the first few days/week is a balancing act.
In your calendar - write in any appointments you need to attend that week.
Next - each day - allocate some time to do something that is joyful (chatting with a friend, riding a horse, dancing, drawing).
Next - allocate time for self care (shower, haircut, washing clothes, take time dressing in what looks good and feels comfortable.
I'm glad you are home again. Things will settle down soon.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.