Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

outlander
Community Guide

Insomnia

Hello fello insomniacs

This thread is for everyones benefit so feel free to add in anything you like and ask questions

My main question is how do you get yourself to sleep. Ive gone 24hrs without sleep snd live on 3 or less hrs a night. It would be nice to get a few extraordinary hours in.
So how does everyone get to sleep?
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Insomnia

Hi,

It varies for me and I find I sleep worse during the work week than on weekends. I have tried everything from listening to the radio until I fall sleep, watching TV until I can stay awake no longer, reading a book, essential oils for relaxation (like lavender), meditation apps and also sleeping aids (medication and natural). I find things don't always work or not for long and taking meds only works for a little while and your body becomes used to it. 

Not sure what is more frustrating - not being able to fall asleep in the first place or waking up after only a few hours sleep and can't fall back to sleep. 

HI @Sydphotog firstly welcome to the forums. i hope you find being here beneficial

i agree! it is very frustrating for both situations

ive tried all those suggestions except the essential oils but i find even jsut a very small amount is waay to strong for me and then starts to give me headaches or buns my nose

ideaslady
Senior Contributor

Hi @outlander. I listen to audio books. A great way to learn and it then puts me to sleep. No caffeine after 1pm helps too. Also, if you wake at 5am everyday and do some exercise I imagine this would help. That's my goal lol.....to join the 5am club.
What interests you?

Thank you for the welcome @outlander !

Yes, it sure is frustrating as having a decent nights sleep is essential in trying to cope with the day ahead.

Yes, essential oils can give you a headache and I find you get sick of the smell too! lol! I was putting it on my pillow case or on a tissue and placing it under my pillow. My friend suggested this as she swears it works for her.

hi @ideaslady welcome to the forums too. i too hope you find it useful being here

the only audio books i can have have to be on my phone becasue i share a room with my 2 sisters atm so i cant disturb them at all hours of the night and most of my books wouldnt be suitable for them anyway

im up at all hourse of the night and sometimes playing like solitaire on my phone helps me go back to sleep but not always and it still takes 2 or 3 games before i start drifting back off again.

@Sydphotog

yeah i decied not to try essential oils as i cant really handle the smell. when i go see my psycholoist they often have some sort of essential oils  but i feel sick and end up with headaches and just wanting the session to hurry up and end so i can get out of there

@outlander - Yes give that one a miss! I guess everybody is different though and reacts better to some things, but when you haven't slept properly in ages you pretty much try anything don't you. lol!
Glad mine doesn't have anything like that.....

i know! @Sydphotog its jsut like frantically search for something that will work that will give you a few decent straight hours of sleep! how hard is that lol

ideaslady
Senior Contributor

Cool.....I'll have to check out Solitaire. I'm a little obsessed with the game design home.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.