Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Marulu
Contributor

Getting things done

Just wanted to share an easy to use strategy for getting things done and feeling with procrastination. This works well for me especially when I'm feeling depressed and want to get some housework done..

Step1 put some upbeat music on

Step 2 write a list of steps you can do in 10 minutes or less. So for tidying the lounge that might be clear the table, straighten the lounge cover, put shopping bags in the car, put shoes away, vacume the floor.

Step 3 work for 10 minutes followed by rest for 10 minutes or as long as you decide giving yourself a reward after every 10 minutes of work such as a cup of tea, reading a magazine, watch some tv, lying down etc.

Step 4 when you've finished as many items as you want to for the day write in your diary one 10 minute task to do the next day. 

I hope this helps.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Getting things done

This is a great strategy! I use it myself and it works well @Marulu .

I don't write down all the mini steps though, I just work for 10 minutes and then stop. 

Thanks for sharing 🙂

Hi @Marulu 

thank you for your strategies. When I’m down and everything seems overwhelming I decided to just do 10min and put the alarm on. After 10min I just stop whatever I’m doing, leave the vacuum right where it is (or whatever else I’m doing) and call it a day. 

take care x

Got some thoughts on a feeding yourself front. Keep a nice stack of recipes you know are delicious. Only eat things I really enjoy. Plan your eating for the upcoming week - do up a menu if you will and then prepare a full shopping list.

Mix up what you eat all the time. Try out a new recipe every now and again. Cook meals with multiple serves so you don’t have to cook every meal time - freeze portions in the freezer for when you want no fuss tasty meals.

Splurge every now and again (eg prawns, smoked trout and salmon). Look for cheats, such as recently discovered nutritional yeast (can be used as a replacement for cheese). When I feel like it, cook with the intent of sharing (very few people I do this for these days).

This might seem like a lot, but I’ve only gradually started down this path. Doing these things has meant I’m genuinely enjoying eating for the very first time in a long time. It all helps me to not procrastinate about thinking about following and sticking to my eating plan. Love it!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.