Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Getting and staying well - get together

Good morning everyone and

Hello again to my dear friends on the forum and everyone else I forgot!

@lisajane@Appleblossom @Kurra @Determined  @utopia @Queenie @Teej  @Niqueeta1 @Faith-and-Hope @Sahara @BlueBay @outlander @Zoe7@Shaz51 @eth @CatMeowCatMeow @suzanne

Yes, I have taken another break from the forum. And this time I join more for the reason of inspiring others and giving others hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

No, I haven't magically solved my C-PTSD and yes, I still have flashbacks, intrusive thoughts, I have good days and bad days, I have better days and worse days. 

But I think, I am "stable"? I don't really know how to call it, but my psychiatrist asked me the other day, "you look well, and what can you do to keep it that way?" Woah, that is a completely new question!

I did the self-care challenge from The Mighty in the month of June and I think the most important part in that self-care challenge was the sentence underneath: "Friendly reminder: it's ok to miss a day". And believe me I DO MISS days, sometimes completely. Like last week my sleeping patterns got totally out of whack, so I rested a day, and slept, because I know what happens if I don't rest. Even my husband reminds me to rest if I'm running around all day non-stop. It's good to have people remind me, and I am actually listening to them now 🙂 Now THAT is a HUGE change!

I was desperate when I started the self-care challenge and I was wondering how it would help, and I was questioning why I would put such simple goals as "brushing your teeth, getting dressed, having a shower..." on there. But it has helped and I have adjusted my goals a little bit for this month.

I also took responsibility for my medication and especially stopped doing anything that interferes with my meds, mainly I stopped drinking alcohol. 

So I would like to use this platform for us, anyone with or without a mental health issue (you don't need to qualify for these forums ;)), to share how we get through each day and how we try to improve our lives one little step at a time. And I will share, every now and then, what helps me and what I have or am implementing to stay "stable".

Hope you all have a good start to the new week!! 

25 REPLIES 25

Re: Getting and staying well - get together

Good morning @Former-Member 🙂

Wow what a nice update to read this morning, thank you so much for sharing how you are going, I am so pleased to hear how you are doing and how things have been for you lately, a lot better than the last time that is great news that you are finding some self-care is helping you and the small things do add up and help.

It sounds like you have really challenged yourself to do those self-care things and finding ways to manage, glad you are taking care of yourself 🙂

Lunar

@Faith-and-Hope and @Former-Member

I have tagged you in the new post 🙂 Big hugs x

Hi @Former-Member ..... 😊👋

Hello @Former-MemberHeart Thank you for tagging me 🙂

So good to hear the positivity coming from you @Former-MemberHeart

You have re-joined to inspire others and you have inspired me 🙂 I like to think of my tunnel as like one of those big long ones you drive underground in the city - the lights are actually all the way through the tunnel. There's a few twists and turns, dangerous bends where the lights are broken, but I don't have to get to the end of it, to get to the next light 🙂

I think part of 'stability' is accepting the bad days and realizing there'll be good ones as well:)

I've never heard of the challenge you did, but I think the reminder you got from it is very important . . . and kind of part of accepting the bad days.

Yeah - the elusive balance - how to stay stable - that is an entirely new question?

I completely understand what the likes of 'brushing your teeth, getting dressed and having a wash' should be on self-care lists; and am a little ashamed to admit I really don't do those things very well.

Though on a more positive note, I've done my dishes 3 days in a row now! And am intending to get my but of this Forum soon and start washing clothes! 😄

I think stopping alcohol was a huge step for me, as for me personally I think it led to other substances. The alcohol didn't seem to work quick enough, or just not enough full stop - so I'd add to it . . . very bad scene.

I'm looking forward to what you share:) I don't have anything in particular to share, I think most people know what I know. Just take one thing at a time, too many things overwhelm me. Try to focus on the postives that are there instead of the negitives that can always be found.

Love to you FlowerHeart

Niqua

Very inspiring, both of you 💜

@Former-Member @Former-Member

Hi @Former-Member

Well I think doing your dishes 3 days in the row is well worth a mention!!! 

I like your idea of the tunnel, but mine has smog and fires sometimes 😞 I've hit a bad batch of smog this morning and my headlights weren't working, so I pulled up on the side and had a nap. 

So this morning was a bad morning (not worse, just bad) and I slept most of the morning. This irritates me, as I have SO much to do. I'm tired now and have no motivation, but I have plans for the later afternoon and will not cancel. Even if I have another nap before I go. Previously I used to knock myself numb with meds and continue to plot along, or go asleep with meds. I have figured out, that I get so exhausted when I feel like this morning, that I don't even need additional meds to sleep. I will sleep. I guess it is a way of being kind to myself, giving my mind a rest when it's working in overdrive.

One thing I started doing, like I said yesterday "not every day", is write a daily planner. Mainly to understand that I cannot do a million things at one time, and leave them unfinished (one of my BAD traits) and also to have some sense of achievement in the evening. I rarely manage to do everything on my list and will start to postpone non-urgent issues (basically anything, including myself, that does not have to do with the welfare of my pets) half way through the day. Accepting that I can opt out of my own plan is a huge achievement. Today I did not do a plan. That's being kind too, I think.

Take care of yourself x

Hello @Former-Member🙂

Thank you for understanding what a huge thing it is to do the simple tasks - 4 days in a row with the dishes and 2nd day running with the washing now! and it's like what I'd hoped for is happening - other things are getting done - making my bed, getting the fire together in the day light, putting away piles of junk 🙂

Everybodies tunnel is different and those dang tunnels change all the time 🙂 Sorry yours is smogging todayHeart Good on you for recognizing you need the sleep!

Medications are a very individual thing, Doctors had out these pills that affect your brain . . . and yet they admit they don't really know all that much about the brain!?! No wonder it's such a hit and miss thing.

I think it's definately being kind to yourself to give your mind a rest when it's working in overdrive.

I used to write a lot of lists {I have a terrible memory}, but my lists would get impossibly long. Then I would try to organize the impossible into smaller but more multiple lists. Sometimes it did help a bit, sometimes it did the opposite and made me feel useless and a failure even unto myself and what I wanted. Thank you for giving me the thought that I can opt out of my own plan - of course I can . . . it's my plan (I am a little concerned I may be starting one of those impossible lists at the moment). I've had another thought, I'll have a regular time interval, say a week, where what hasn't been done - I'll allow myself not to do! I'll screw up that list, throw it away and start another one 🙂 Oh, you have been inspiring for me :)Heart

Be kind and gentle to yourself, allow yourself 🙂 {I think allowing myself is going to be a new thing for me!} Heart

Another bad day with smog in the tunnel. Like a really bad day of smog at the M5 tunnel in Sydney. I'm stuck in a traffic jam.

Patience!?
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.