Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Jamc
Senior Contributor

Change

Why is it that as i do things like declutter & clean my flat up that i feel good about it but am getting Very Angry about it i feel that something bad is going to happen or I will ruin it my Psycholigst says it's my thought patterns from my childhood when good things i got or felt came at a cost i was not comfertable with & after near 45 years trying to change my life going good but feel right on edge and do not want to slip back

5 REPLIES 5
Bubbles3
Senior Contributor

Re: Change

hi @Jamc

i do the same thing and then feel the same way. it is from the truma from the past. it has taken me all long time to sometimes know that nothing bad is going to happen if i have something good. sometimes i still do think like that. and it bloody hard. 

every now and then, i still think that if i have something really good, that it is going to be taken away from me. 

i know it hard to change the thought pattern but you will get there

i hope that help you and

hope your feeling ok today @Jamc

Lunar
Senior Contributor

Hi @Jamc

I think that it is very helpful that you are able to reflect on that and talk about it with your psychologist. The trauma symptoms can make it challenging if you have learnt to feel uncomfortable with 'good' things happening for you, but that doesn't mean that cannot change. It might be about grounding yourself when you start to feel that worry coming on, so it's good you are talking about it here 🙂

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Jamc - also have difficulties from trauma/childhood and find that I expect/am waiting for bad stuff to always happen.. it feels inevitable. Also glad that you have a psychologist to talk it over with, but it doesnt always change things! Im assuming you have decluttered/cleaned up lately? Does it feel ok/good at the same time? Hope that even though there are the fear feelings, that you can also enjoy it a bit too?
Jamc
Senior Contributor

Thanks the more I do the more I get frustrated
Jamc
Senior Contributor

Thanks to all for the support
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.