Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

twin2
New Contributor

Trouble adjusting

Hi guys, 

Im new here, this is my first time experiencing feelings of anxiety/depression. I just started a new job and had a lot going on in the last month and am having a lot of trouble adjusting. I just want to cry all the time and its worse when I'm alone and when my boyfriend goes to work. I don't know how to deal with these feelings and I'm not eating properly because of it. I'm on a wait list to see a psychologist but came here to seek some advice in the mean time.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Trouble adjusting

Hello @twin2 

Change can be difficult.  Glad you are on waitlist.

I will tag some other members to see if they can chat ...

@greenpea @Clawde @EternalFlame @maddison 

Welcome to the forums @twin2 and I am sorry you are going through such a difficult time at present.

I hope the wait list is not too long and you get to see a psychologist very soon as you deserve this support.

There are lots of kindhearted and supportive people on these forums and I trust you feel comfortable enough to look around the various threads and join in when possible.

Take care

Welcome and Hello @twin2 

Good on you for putting your hand up and asking about, being honest with yourself.

I too wish there was something like wise advise or a tablet or something to help us get through these times, especially that new job feeling that is not the same when your going through it. No matter what.

This is what I do and have done when the going gets to overbearing, I break every little task down to tiny little steps like, having my clothes ready the night before, getting up that bit earlier, but remember to breath 3 deep breaths then do the next thing, and if not hungry that’s ok, but the body needs fuel, so treat yourself with your favourite chocolate bar instead at least it’s body food.

and as @Eve7  said I hope the wait is not too long either your in the right direction, of getting yourself the best version of you, remember we are all human, I have no training in what really to do, in these draining times in life, I am too old to be, but the little things and the company here in the pages that will unfold to you too keep my head above water so to speak, good luck and just keep going it will get better soon from Clawde 👍

Good Morning,

I get really bad anxiety too. I am on some medication for it but I also feel it has a lot to do with the way I think. I rush myself all the time instead of taking the time to do what I need to. I have started just doing one thing at a time and then mentally giving myself a high five for that small thing. It improves my self esteem and I get more done. I also tell my partner I am just pottering and going to take my time so he knows how I am feeling and then I am not worrying about what he might be thinking.

I have my sister who I can share this with and I can give her a call when I feel anxious to talk me through, which may be all I need. You have already taken the first step towards self-determination by using these forums to share and support how you feel. Go you, and thanks for the reminder that I am not alone at feeling this way.

Sending support your way.

MLE

Don’t envy you one little bit re the waiting. It’s horrible particularly when you may not know exactly what’s wrong and, worst still, whether they’re even going to be able to help you when you get there.

Have you thought about any strategies that might help you cope while you wait:

- finding the time to document individual concerns

- having a diary where you can note “stream of consciousness” entries

- having three good meals a day

- getting out and about as much as you can (even just a short walk)

- calling your supports (if any) and letting them know where you’re at

- meditating (even if that means just sitting in front of the Tele with it on mute)

- call any confidential hotlines (lifeline or those funded by work)

- anything else that might be of interest…

Take care.

I’m actually finding these strategies very helpful. I write in a journal at the end of the night and note my feelings for the day and possible triggers and it’s really helping me figure out what’s going on. Exercise is also helping as well, even if it’s just a little walk. 
Thank you for the suggestions 🙂 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.