Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Organism
Casual Contributor

Hi

Hi 

This is my first time here. My main reason for coming is to connect with other people with schizophrenia who still hear voices and how to deal with it. I don't get to discuss things with people in the real world due to lack of social connections. I am also diagnosed with social anxiety disorder and substance abuse disorder (in full remission), so anything in these areas are of interest to me. I've been diagnosed with schizophrenia for a 18months. I hear voices daily and my delusions are that these voices are possessing spirits or demonic in nature. The medication does help and without it I think I would be suicidal by now as I was experiencing it for 2 years before I got treatment. The voices can wear you down. I'm without substances for over 3 years as I stopped when I first got symptoms but the symptoms didn't go away (and still haven't). I still have regular cravings but the discomfort from the illness makes you seek out some alternative relief. This is difficult. 

I'm also concerned about the life expectancy of schizophrenics is 20yeard less than the general population. Mainly due to cardiovascular issues - related to obesity, type 2 diabetes, cholesterol, smoking, lack of exercise ect.. also 80% of schizophrenics smoke I find that scary. I only ever smoked when using substances so have stopped for now. This life expectancy figure scarese a bit. 

Cheers 

5 REPLIES 5
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Hi

Hi @Organism and welcome to the forums! 

I have a similar diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder. I've heard voices too but not recently. About the life expectancy for people living with schizophrenia, it is a scary statistic. I reckon some of the reasons people don't live as long can be improved or prevented by not smoking and exercise and healthy eating. I know that the medication can affect weight gain and diabetes but individuals can try with help from dietitians to eat right, moderate balance of foods. I'm obese with a BMI of 33. I am trying to get the weight off as I don't want to be that statistic. Other things you can do are keeping up with health checks. Some of the medication for schizophrenia means we need to get additional health checks like heart ECG and blood tests etc. I do all that regularly to keep on top of my health. 

Getting back to hearing voices, there's a growing interest in living with voices, eg hearing voices network. I think it started in WA, not sure. It's all about living your best life, with the voices, and strategies to use.

Hello @Organism 

Smiley Happy

I love your name and value the intelligent questions in your post.  I personally do not have a diagniosis of schizophrenia, but have known who did have it. I hope others come along and reply soon.  To gain real value of these conversations may take time, as different people have different insights. 

Hearing you about the tragic issues around earlier deaths and med issues.  Its great you no longer smoke.  I smoked for about 10 years but it has been a long time since I quit.

Welcome to the forum.

Organism
Casual Contributor

Re: Hi @Liberty thanks for the response

The main reason i came here was to find ways to deal with voices, so thanks for letting me know about the hearing voices network ill definitely have a look at that. Before i got treatment it was really painful (and still is at times) but it is much improved now although still hard to deal with on a daily basis. I use to like reading before the medication but now i find i cant concentrate properly and find my working memory is pretty poor. Im not sure if its the medication or if its the disease itself. 

Im pretty paranoid about my physical health now as i also dont want to be in that statistic. I have regular GP check ups for it which seems to be ok at the moment but im always worried about putting on weight (think my BMI is in the overweight range). Ive changed to a medication which is suppose to be good for the metabolic side effects so see how that goes. I still have cravings for cigarettes and alcohol even though its been over 3yrs since i touched anything wondering if it ever goes away. Think the disease and voices make it worse.   

Cheers 

Organism
Casual Contributor

Thanks for the reply Appleblossom 

Having social anxiety makes communicating with people in this type of forum easier than doing it in the real world but it still gives me anxiety lol. I hope i can get some value out of this. 

Cheers 

Rosie
Senior Contributor

Hi @Organism thanks for sharing your post.

I have a diagnosis of schizophrenia and I also haven't smoked or drank for about 3 years. Well done on not taking those substances! For me, being sober and a non-smoker has helped me so much. I take medication and I try to eat well and exercise daily to help with my mental health condition. It's really hard sometimes. It is also very rewarding when I see that I am well and doing my best to prevent relapse.

I think your insight into your voices is really valuable, when I am psychotic, I don't know or understand that I am and it makes it all worse. I don't get voices, but my delusions are very cunning! I have been 'well' for about 2 years now, without delusions or symptoms, but I still do everything I can to prevent it - see doctors regularly, keep healthy, take my meds etc. I try and remember how badly going off my meds affected my life so that I stay on them!

Happy schizophrenia awareness week!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.