Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

HenryX
Community Guide

HenryX' Return to Forum & Ongoing Suggestions

Hello, This is my belated introduction

I, like others, am also relatively new to this forum structure, though I registered in 2015, but never returned to become an active forum member till a few weeks ago. My first recent contact was on the 17 Feb 21. You will find my posts around these Forums, since then.

Through those posts, you may get more of an insight into my thoughts, ideas and observations

In 2015, I was evidently not ready to engage in discussion, or found the forum a little too clunky to get used to.

I was diagnosed with clinical depression about 20 years ago and have been taking anti-depressant medication at a high dosage level since then. Despite trying to reduce the dosage in small increments, I have found that the consequences were most unpleasant.

Pain caused by stenosis of the spinal column (a narrowing of the spaces in the spine, that can compress the spinal cord and nerve pathways exiting each vertebral joint) has also been exceptionally difficult to deal with. Because of three 'fusion and laminectomy' operations, I am pleased to still be independently mobile with the help of a walking staff (as distinct from a stick) to assist in keeping me as upright as possible.

Following one of those operations, I purchased some old computers and learned what I could about the internals. However, it takes a fair degree of application to keep up with developments in that sphere, so I am now mainly occupied in using them.

I have arrived at the forum, well after what may be described as the 'crisis' period of my health concerns, though rehabilitation and maintenance will require life-long attention.

Consequently, I am here, both for part of the on-going support of other people in similar situations and circumstances, and hopefully in reciprocal measure to offer whatever assistance I can through a format such as provided here.

I do enjoy responding to people where we can share information, provide and receive support as needed and provide each other with the type of nurturing that discussion about common issues, constraints and circumstances imposed and allowed or facilitated.

I look forward to continuing to correspond with people on the forum and hope that in the ways that are available to us in this environment, help each other through the issues we face in our respective circumstances

With My

Very Best Wishes

HenryX

13 REPLIES 13

Re: HenryX' Return to Forum & Ongoing Suggestions

Hi @HenryX welcome back here. I have enjoyed reading some of your thoughtful responses to posts. 

Your physical health issues are a lot to deal with and would no doubt be contributing to depression. I have had chronic illnesses most of my life. The worst times with them has also coincided with going downhill mentally and emotionally, but they compromise my mental wellbeing in an ongoing way. I too have been on anti-depressants for a very long time.

Well wishes for your continued life's journey.

@Mazarita 

Hello Mazarita,

Thank you for your note and your response.

I recognise what seem to me to be similar threads in our conversations.

Much appreciated

Best Wishes

HenryX

Hi @HenryX and re-welcome to the forums🙂

I saw you swapping conversation with @SJT63 and look forward to getting to know you. I'm sorry pain is something that you live with. Again, welcome 😃

@Anastasia 

Hello Anastasia, Thank you for your note.

Yes I just sent a note to @SJT63

I am very sorry to hear of recent events

Cheers

HenryX

My response edited for the correct name in the text, 6/04/21.

hello @HenryX Smiley Very Happy

how are you going today 

having a coffee here 

coffee2.jpg

hello @Anastasia@Mazarita 

@Shaz51 

Hello Shaz,

Going well at the moment, thank you.

Yes, coffee on the right-hand side. I'm on the West Coast, so it is just on 1.00 pm here. Outside 32 deg., going for 35. Quite pleasant, however very much tempered, knowing about the effect of the floods on the East Coast.

We had a fair bit of rain a couple of weeks ago but was just a good pre-season soak.

Sympathy to all those affected by present floods.

With the hope that the rains ease quickly

To all, Best Wishes,

HenryX

3-30 pm here in noth queensland @HenryX  and no rain here yet 

but very hot and cloudy 

load of washing done here 

have you any furbabies ??

i dont have any at the moment , had lots over the years 

@Shaz51 

Hi Shaz,

furbabies ??   I have a beautiful Kelpie/Lab, dominant Kelpie, so very active.

She keeps me company and "talks" to me as a Kelpie does.

Have lived in Brisbane, Bulimba when I was a child - a long time ago.

Going into the good season up there now I guess

Cheers HenryX

@HenryX

This post is to introduce my method of preparing written material that you may wish to post on the

SANE Australia website Forums

[and may be used in other applications]

I hope you will find the following information

useful and helpful..............

Offering some suggestions to assist with:

Text Selection & Effects

for

Replies to Messages”

Threads & Posts

For a relatively short response, the “Reply to Message” box is fine, but for longer posts &/or responses, I like to use the following method or procedure. This procedure will also help avoid the situation of

"Authentication Ticket Mismatched, failed authentication."

the "timeout" message that sometimes appears when writing a long post on this and other websites and also, the loss of the message, if we forget to "Post" the message before clearing the window

(I know - Duh!!).

When I have proofread, corrected and completed my response on my OpenOffice text-writer word processor, I then copy and paste from my "OpenOffice text-writer" page to the reply box of the post to which I am responding. I can then submit the reply without falling foul of the

dreaded 

"Authentication Ticket Mismatched"

demon.

Writing a Post

To respond to a post, I use half my computer screen for each part of the work I am undertaking.

I have the SANE Aust. Website Post, to which I am responding, on one side of the screen

and a new text document (in my case, an OpenOfficeWriter text document) on the other half of the computer screen. That way I can write a response, using the text on page alignment" (centred, allign right or left, Justified), "font colour” and other functions of my document text writer, proof-read my work, then copy and paste the response, from the text document, into the "Reply to Message" box in the forum reply to which I am responding.

This procedure also allows me to search for relevant material on either page, while having the other page remain in view. I usually write my message, in the text writer, at 15pt size for easy reading and then reduce all the text size ("Edit>Select all"), in the text Writer, to 12pt size before copying and pasting to the “Reply to Message” box. The 12pt text size from my text document writer seems to most closely match the text size in the forum posts.

Default English(USA) text & Corrections

When "Grammarly"  is active, otherwise per directions given on your computer

When the message is copied to the “Reply to Message” box, you will need to go through and 'correct' the red-underlined text in order to “Post” your reply (the underline will be red but not necessarily the text - unless that is what you intended, as shown here). Corrections are made by hovering the cursor over the red-underlined text and selecting your preference from the drop-down box. In the forum site, the default text, spelling, and grammar (eg. commas before conjunctions, 'color' instead of colour, etc.) on the forum “Reply to Message” box is, unfortunately, by default English(USA), so I usually just “dismiss” the USA-based text offered alterations unless the suggested alteration is valid for my purpose and context. If your text writer is set to English (Aust) or (UK) {my preferred text dictionaries}, You will need to “dismiss” most of the suggested Eng(USA) based corrections after you have copied your text from the document writer to the forum “Reply to Message” box unless you want to accept the (USA) usage.

(but don't automatically dismiss everything - please check each item)

Note: You may be directed to make corrections more than once or twice, so don't get frustrated, it is most likely not you, but just how this system works. The correction process will also pick up unintended spaces and a few other needed or positive corrections that will help tidy up your presentation.

Editing a Post

To "Edit" your post, left-click on "Post Options" at the top right side of your post; the "drop-down" menu will include the "Edit Post" function. Left-click on "Edit Post" and you will then be able to access your post for editing. When you edit your post, you will again have to go through and correct the red-underlined "errors" and left-click "Post" again. You may have to repeat the error correction process, left-click "Post" again and usually, you will be informed that the edit was successful with the note:

"Success! Your post was edited."

If you spend a long time editing a post the "evil" text corrector may show up again.

You will have to re-correct each time you edit unless you accept all the suggested corrections.

I often go back and edit previous posts. Normally I don't indicate that I have edited material, unless there is a substantial change to the intention, meaning or addition of information. I may then add a note to the bottom of the post with an

(a) a coloured letter reference indicating and connecting the edited text to the note. An example of which is added at the end of this procedure note.

Text Style Functions

The text style functions or qualities that I have used in this document are: page centred (text alignment){alternatives are: left or right alligned or justified}, bold, underline, italics, font colour, and line spacing. Unfortunately, highlighted text does not appear to transfer.

{Line Spacing is found in OpenOfficeWriter as follows:   format>paragraph>Indents & Spacing>line spacing>single & 1.5 spacing (or other options)}.

These style function effects (except highlighting of text: though font colour does transfer) will transfer to the “Reply to Message” box, as you see in the text of this reply.

Hope that this helps you to prepare responses that look the way that you would like them to and provide visual variation that adds interest, appeal and texture to your written reply. I believe that you will enjoy the process, as I do, after a few muffs and stumbles.

If this post appears to be useful, and needs to be, or can be transferred to a more appropriate location, I obviously defer to the suggestions of senior staff, and I acquire a little extra knowledge as well. In the meantime, I hope it will be of interest and assistance.

With Best Wishes

HenryX

(a) Example of reference to the edited text. This note may include the reason for editing the text:

eg “Additional information has been added here {- reason - reference (where applicable or appropriate) } ”

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.