Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Popo
New Contributor

Help with addiction

Hi, new here not sure where to post.I have  alcohol addiction which is now spiralling.

Im not sure what im after but maybe people to connect with who understand? Something has to be done now and im ready. 

Thanks 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Help with addiction

Hello @Popo 

Here is a Gabor Mate short pictorial yt that I found helpful.

I hope you gain from the forums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVg2bfqblGI 

Thank you ! Very powerful and so correct..Where do I start to find mysrlf/recover..I need to start. 

We all have unique paths @Popo .  A lot will depend on your own personality character and circumstances and strengths as well as foibles.  I do not want to be an advice giver.  Firstly the decision makes a difference.  Personally I never had specific therapy or counselling, but really like that vid.  When I found this site i struggled with a new addiction. lol ... but without as meavy negative consequences .... harm minimisation ... is another buzzword. I guess join in where and how you feel benefits you and things will start to clarify eg where to start first...

Apple

Hey well done for reaching out that can be extremely difficult! I am an ex addict of 15 years currently sober 2 years and 2 months. I know that it's not an easy road that your on but just know you can come out on the other end. I did a free 12 week drug and alcohol counselling that helped me in early sobriety. There is also the option of rehab if you want a more intense support. Just try and take it one day at a time. Don't look to far into things as that can be overwhelming. Any questions feel free to ask. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.