Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Peta1
Casual Contributor

Exhausted by anxiety

I needed to get my thoughts out somehow, and so found this site. It's so crap, that myself and so many others still don't feel comfortable talking about how we are feeling. For fear of being judged or not understood.

I am exhausted from feeling fearful , paranoid , panicked, nervous and stressed. I'm 35, and and seem to feel this way almost all of the time. My self esteem is so incredibly low , I would say at this point it's non existent. Every word that comes out of my mouth I reflect on, cringe and feel awful about what I've said , convinced that everyone thinks, or in my mind "knows" that I'm an idiot. I have started a new job and although I've been in the industry for ten years I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. Burnt out. Scared of people. Feel I have absolutely nothing to contribute , feel that everyone is talking about me and don't want me there. I'm working with a new psychologist. It's new and I'm learning but I have seen so many and starting to think I can't change. I just can't shake the constant negative thoughts, can't relax, can't find a moment in life I can genuinely enjoy. I'm fed up with feeling so scared all the time for no real reason. Mental health problems are so real. I've tried to hide it in my adult life though because when I've exposed it, I have only felt judged and felt weak. I'm so scattered all the time I can sit there and watch a show for an hour , read a few pages of a book and then realize I have no idea what's happened or what it was all about. My memory is shot. I just can't seem to retain anything but this damn fear. I'm interested to hear if others have this problem. Thanks for reading 🌸

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Exhausted by anxiety

Hi, 

I just signed up to this site myself. I want you to know you aren't alone. I totally understand how you are feeling. I feel the same way. I am 34 and I feel like I am in a time loop where I continually make the same mistakes, cause the same issues and push everyone who is good in my life to breaking point. I am in the middle of quite a bad episode myself and I am feeling very sad and very alone. 

Thankyou so much for your reply. It's amazing really, just how relieving it is to hear someone simply responding that they "understand". It feels very very lonely right ? My rational brain tells me there are too many people feeling this way but it really feels like I'm the only one. No one close to me experiences this. Do you have any outlet that makes you feel 'okay' ? I'm sorry you feel like this it is truly debilitating. You know , i am in an industry where I care for people , I understand risk factors, trauma... I feel I have a good grasp on why I am the way I am. I feel I am trying to be in 'the solution' , getting treatment , aware of my trauma , aware that thoughts trigger actions and behaviors. This is why it's so frustrating to come close to accepting that I'm not going to get out of this and really change. I hope you are getting support. Thanks again. 

@Peta1 

Hello Peta1

I noticed your post and want to respond to you about your feelings of anxiety, fearfulness, nervousness and consequent feelings of stress that arise with some of the other issues.

I agree with you, that it is very difficult for people to share and have acknowledged their feelings and symptoms in relation to mental illness or concerns, particularly in our work, social and often, even home environments. That really is the point of having a place, which these forums provide, where such discussions can take place, without any fear of judgement, denial, prejudice or put-downs.

The beauty of this environment is that the other participants here all have some issues that they are facing or have faced in their lives. Consequently, people are not here to judge one another but on the contrary, are here to offer assistance to each other in a mutually beneficial way. We hope that you will be able to discuss ways that might help you to resolve some, or hopefully all, of the issues that you are addressing. By resolving, I mean finding ways of minimising the impact that these issues have on our lives.

I have experienced many times in my life when I would rather stay quiet than say something that may be viewed by others as being stupid, ridiculous or idiotic. I believe that some of those feelings arose from a view of life that I had that was as if looking through “dark” glasses. Indeed, I moved between jobs partly for those reasons. I wish that I had realised or become aware more quickly about the causes of those problems that came from my way of thinking or psychological issues that needed to become more balanced.

The point that you have arrived at is what I refer to as a “crisis point”. That is where you become aware, as I did, of the reality, that if I did not find out the cause of these problems, then I may be heading for deeper problems in the future. I believe that “crisis points” are good in that it is a time when we can change what is happening to us.

You mention that you are working with a new psychologist. You are receiving professional assistance with the issues that you are facing, which is so important. While forum members cannot offer professional guidance, you will be given cues where people can say that they have felt similar ways or experienced certain phenomena. Many of these will help you to identify areas that you can then discuss with forum members and/or your psychologist.

If you feel that a person is clearly in, or discussing similar circumstances to your own, you can left-mouse-click on their forum identifier with the prefix “@”. Mine for example would be “@HenryX”. This will give you access to the threads in which they are likely to be discussing concerns, symptoms, phenomena, etc that you might be experiencing. There may be filler threads that consist of greetings and courtesies. These can be uplifting but possibly not substantial in terms of the material you may be looking for. Just continue the search for the material that you want. Also, with the “@........” designator, you can flag a person's attention to your post, that you would like them to see and to which you may like their response.

I spoke recently with someone who was concerned about persistent negative thoughts that she was finding difficult to stop. This is what I suggested (I have quoted from that discussion):

In my experience, I have found that it is very difficult to get rid of ideas or thoughts, by trying to get rid of them. Allow me to explain myself, please. When we are trying to get rid of a thought we logically have to think about the thought we are trying to get rid of. Sometimes I explain this idea by holding up my hand and asking the person with whom I am speaking to push their hand against mine. Remember the old equal and opposites thingy (Please excuse my very physics type explanation – but I think you will understand) anyway, to maintain a position there has to be an equal and opposite force. If one hand is removed there is nothing to hold the other against and it (the other) will drop. I believe the same applies to thoughts, that sometimes we fight so hard to prevent the thought that we actually encourage its resistance and persistence.”

You have said that you are “starting to think I can't change.” I believe that I can almost guarantee that you can change. There are many different types of therapy under the uninspiring title of “talk” therapies. You might like to research “Cognitive Behavioural Therapy” or CBT, “Dialectical Behavioural Therapy” or DBT and "Acceptance Commitment Therapy" or ACT. These will give you some ideas that you can use on your own, though I would recommend that you do so with the guidance of and in conjunction with your psychologist. As well as the discussion and personal awareness approaches, there is a range of medications that can be very usefully applied to assist with psychological balancing. I take a medication that I am aware is beneficial for me. I am keenly aware of that if I forget to take it.

Peta, I do hope, that while I have covered a lot of ground, you will find this information useful to you.

Other forum members and I will be happy to assist if there are any of these or other ideas you would like to discuss.

With My Most Sincere Best Wishes

HenryX

P.S. I have also posted a copy of this note to Erin86

@Erin86 

Hello Erin86

I noticed your post and want to respond to you about your feelings of anxiety, fearfulness, nervousness and consequent feelings of stress that arise with some of the other issues.

I agree with you, that it is very difficult for people to share and have acknowledged their feelings and symptoms in relation to mental illness or concerns, particularly in our work, social and often, even home environments. That really is the point of having a place, which these forums provide, where such discussions can take place, without any fear of judgement, denial, prejudice or put-downs.

The beauty of this environment is that the other participants here all have some issues that they are facing or have faced in their lives. Consequently, people are not here to judge one another but on the contrary, are here to offer assistance to each other in a mutually beneficial way. We hope that you will be able to discuss ways that might help you to resolve some, or hopefully all, of the issues that you are addressing. By resolving, I mean finding ways of minimising the impact that these issues have on our lives.

I have experienced many times in my life when I would rather stay quiet than say something that may be viewed by others as being stupid, ridiculous or idiotic. I believe that some of those feelings arose from a view of life that I had that was as if looking through “dark” glasses. Indeed, I moved between jobs partly for those reasons. I wish that I had realised or become aware more quickly about the causes of those problems that came from my way of thinking or psychological issues that needed to become more balanced.

The point that you have arrived at is what I refer to as a “crisis point”. That is where you become aware, as I did, of the reality, that if I did not find out the cause of these problems, then I may be heading for deeper problems in the future. I believe that “crisis points” are good in that it is a time when we can change what is happening to us.

You mention that you are working with a new psychologist. You are receiving professional assistance with the issues that you are facing, which is so important. While forum members cannot offer professional guidance, you will be given queues where people can say that they have felt similar ways or experienced certain phenomena. Many of these will help you to identify areas that you can then discuss with forum members and/or your psychologist.

If you feel that a person is clearly in, or discussing similar circumstances to your own, you can left-click (mouse) on their forum identifier with the prefix “@”. Mine for example would be “@HenryX”. This will give you access to the threads in which they are likely to be discussing concerns, symptoms, phenomena, etc that you might be experiencing. There may be filler threads that consist of greetings and courtesies. These can be uplifting but possibly not substantial in terms of the material you may be looking for. Just continue the search for the material that you want. Also, with the “@........” designator, you can flag a person's attention to your post, that you would like them to see and to which you may like their response.

I spoke recently with someone who was concerned about persistent negative thoughts that she was finding difficult to stop. This is what I suggested (I have quoted from that discussion):

In my experience, I have found that it is very difficult to get rid of ideas or thoughts, by trying to get rid of them. Allow me to explain myself, please. When we are trying to get rid of a thought we logically have to think about the thought we are trying to get rid of. Sometimes I explain this idea by holding up my hand and asking the person with whom I am speaking to push their hand against mine. Remember the old equal and opposites thingy (Please excuse my very physics type explanation – but I think you will understand) anyway, to maintain a position there has to be an equal and opposite force. If one hand is removed there is nothing to hold against and it (the other) will drop. I believe the same applies to thoughts, that sometimes we fight so hard to prevent the thought that we actually encourage its resistance and persistence.”

You have said that you are “starting to think I can't change.” I believe that I can almost guarantee that you can change. There are many different types of therapy under the uninspiring title of “talk” therapies. You might like to research “Cognitive Behavioural Therapy” or CBT, “Dialectical Behavioural Therapy” or DBT and "Acceptance Commitment Therapy" or ACT. These will give you some ideas that you can use on your own, though I would recommend that you do so with the guidance of and in conjunction with your psychologist. As well as the discussion and personal awareness approaches, there is a range of medications that can be very usefully applied to assist with psychological balancing. I take a medication that I am aware is beneficial for me. I am keenly aware of that if I forget to take it.

Erin, I do hope, that while I have covered a lot of ground, you will find this information useful to you.

Other forum members and I will be happy to assist if there are any ideas you would like to discuss.

With My Most Sincere Best Wishes

HenryX

P.S. I have also posted a copy of this note to Peta1

Thank you HenryX 

I don't want to be this version of me anymore. I don't like who I am. I want to be better for myself & people around me. I had a massive break down yesterday and I don't want to ever go through that again.

@Erin86 

Hello Erin

Thank you for responding to my post.

If there are any questions you have or ideas you would like to discuss, the members on this forum and I would be pleased to have the opportunity to discuss them with you.

Best Wishes

HenryX

It is extremely lonely. I struggle to be on my own and I don't much like who I am. I so badly want to change but I know it is going to take a lot of hard work. I have complex ptsd and suffer a lot with abandonment issues. This causes so many problems for me in my every day life but also my personal relationships. Regular arguments with my partner turns into a big anxiety attack or really heightened emotions and I panic and totally lose any sense of equilibrium. The panicking is because I am afraid of being forgotten or abandoned. It's a daily struggle. 

can relate to your headingSmiley Sad

@Erin86 

From what you have described Erin, it seems that, to some degree, you understand the issues that you face. You are aware of some of the terminology, such as “complex PTSD” and the issues like fear of abandonment, the anxiety and panic attacks. From this, it seems that you may have discussed these issues with your GP and that you may also be talking with a professional counsellor. Would you mind letting us know if that is correct?

The issues that you have described also would seem to create significant internal conflict in yourself. Loneliness and aloneness can often be a result of relationship conflict. This can lead to that loop or cycle that you referred to before.

If you feel like doing so, maybe you could tell us a little about what work you have done so far. Are there any positives that you feel that you have accomplished?

@HenryX

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.