Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Have an account?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome and getting started

Squibblybits
New Contributor

Crossword

Hello, I am a woman experiencing mental health symptoms as well as socioeconomic disadvantage. I am aware of the distorted realism from categorising people. I experience issues with interpersonal closeness, in particularly diverse conversational abilities. Family members have older issues which they seem to experience periodically and I would like to be the motherly figure that can hold them and give them space. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Crossword

Hello @Squibblybits, welcome to the Sane forums 🤗

Thank you for coming on and sharing 🙏 I think it's really admirable that you want to want to be that person for your family, to nurture and hold space for them.

As far as struggling with interpersonal closeness, particularly conversationally, what does this look like and feel like for you? Just so I can understand better.

MJG017
Senior Contributor

Re: Crossword

Hello @Squibblybits and welcome to the forum.  I've never been really good at conversation and letting people close to me.  One of the reasons I started to work on improving that was so that I could be more open with my partner and learn to let her get closer to me.  You work on those barriers for a lifetime and they can be hard to let down.  So I know what it's like to get frustrated trying to learn how to get closer to those people around us that we love.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Have an account?

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.