Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

daisy20202-7
Senior Contributor

hospitality

Hi

Those of you that might work in hospitality or know someone what are your reasons for leaving just as the industry started re opening again and workers were needed.

Trying to work out why there’s constant shortages and why people leave just as it re opens and workers are needed and move to other industries but however can think of a couple long and short term reasons.

1. When they got shut last year and had to find temporary work they discovered they can work fewer hours for same or more money and not work as hard

2. They probably done it 20 years and lockdown gave them chance and made them re evaluate things

3. Probably burned out with restrictions and stuff

4. Bit of everything

Also with the office while you live in a small place with little to no privacy what is a way to have a office setup as good as a school business manager or at the very least a computer area or 2 with a uninterrupted spot where you can have stuff spread out to be able to do business stuff with no interruptions and be able to go back to it later where needed.

Also you know how some people take a laptop or ipad or work to a cafe to do while they have coffee such as business people or people studying what could you do to be able to take stuff and what could be used to carry files and stuff and laptop or ipad.

Sometimes it’d be handy to have something to take files to a cafe while having coffee to do some quick work.

1 REPLY 1

Re: hospitality

Hey @daisy20202-7

I can't say I have answers to all of your questions, but will try and fill in a little based on what I do know/ have learnt about offices and working remotely. 

Privacy can be a tricky one! Dependent on what your work looks like, some things that help me is having a headset and being in a separate room where I can close the door (the signal to others that I'm in deep work and not to be disturbed), though I know that's not always possible for everyone. Something I have done at times is try to have dedicated storage areas for things, so I can pull out what I'm working on and spread out but then pack it away again. 

Again, going out to work or study depends a little on how you do it. A few things that have worked for me is a bigger bag if I'm needing to take a lot with me like textbooks, but also if I'm mainly working digitally. With working digitally, I've found laptop cases with an extra sleeve for bits and pieces I might need like paper or a small notebook really useful. I hope that helps give you a few ideas, though I'll say also that just because I'e found these things helpful doesn't mean it will work for everyone. All the best finding the way that'll work for you 😊 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.