Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Re: Neurofeedback

@Phoenix_Rising  you know what I really love about you?  No matter how bad something is... you always manage to come out with something like this:

"Well...I did what any sane and rational person would do...I went completely ballistic - complete with yelling, crying, headbanging, throwing myself on the floor, rocking, stimming and screaming for A (my psychologist). W was SUPER good with the spectacular meltdown."

@Phoenix_Rising - I care enough about you to have read every word to the end, logged back online even though I have banned myself from here until it feels a bit more comfortable, and am replying even though I know there's not anything I can say that can make it better (not that that is what you want anyway). I also know you get a hit of feel good somethings (I've forgotten what hormone/chemical thing it is) when you see someone has liked, replied or commented so there's three in one for you here.

I hope next week is less adventurous for you too. And I am super enjoying hearing that A has your back. That's huge. Massive.

Dopamine is the brain chemical you are thinking of @CheerBear. Oh man... @Spookytookims is right...no matter how bad I feel, I still come out with atypical stuff like needing to tell you the name of the chemical. I'm sure I'm becoming more and more like Sheldon Cooper every day...oh...no...wait...I remember my mum telling me from the time I was about five years old that I always had to be right about everything. Smiley LOL

{Wanders off to @CheerBear's nest...}

"I remember my mum telling me from the time I was about five years old that I always had to be right about everything."

@Phoenix_Rising   Now there's another shocker!   lmao   tooo funny!

Do you know what you're doing @Phoenix_Rising?  Fixing my profession one Psychologist at a time!  Of course it completely sucks that you have to train them and that you suffer their limitations in the meantime.  And I'm being a bit flippant cos I know you'll understand but there's a kernal of truth in there somewhere. 

Everyone you allow to really see you learns something and has a chance to become better equipped to help you and others in the future.  Yes, things they should already know and be able to do.  But from your studies you know how limited the training is if you're trying to become something other than a statistician.  And then they encounter your intelligence and articulateness wrapped around a muddle that causes strong feelings.  And light bulbs go off and practice improves.

You should be charging them not the other way around.    

Awwww thanks @suzanne. You made me feel all warm and fuzzy. I do despair over the quality of psychologists out there. I so badly wish I could improve the profession at a faster rate! I wrestle with the idea that I know I could be a really good psychologist...if only I could get through the registration process. It is SO frustrating!

It is a little bit funny that you responded. When I saw in my notifications that you had responded, I thought you were going to have something cheeky to say about my post to CheerBear re. my intense need to tell her that dopamine was the chemical she was thinking of. Smiley Happy

Thanks for the response...and thanks for using apostrophes correctly throughout your post. Smiley LOL

Your'e welcome @Phoenix_Rising 🙂

@suzanne wrote:

Your'e welcome @Phoenix_Rising 🙂

@suzanne See now that's just mean. Smiley Very Happy Do you watch Big Bang Theory? If you do, you know how Sheldon gets really twitchy and looks like he is in pain sometimes when the others are messing with him? That's what I look like when I see something like that. My university counsellor taught me that it was socially inappropriate to correct her grammatical errors in her emails and I have generalised that rule such that I work VERY hard at not saying anything re. such errors in domains such as the forums. But secretly, it still totally drives me nuts. Smiley LOL

@Phoenix_Rising 😎😎

@Phoenix_Rising  have you seen that video Stephen Fry did on that grammar na*zi thingo?  If you haven't...   I'm tempted to find it for you.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.