Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Shaz51
Community Guide

Contracting Diabetes while on anti anxiety medication

Hello Everyone

Dear @Former-Member, hope this thread is ok

As I am asking if anyone has contracted Diabetes  while on anti anxiety medication as my Husband is really worried and concerned  as he is on anti depressants and anti anxiety medication and has put on  weight and wondering how many members have Diabetes

@Adge, @Appleblossom, @Anna88,, @Boo13, @Bimby2 @Bubbles3, @Former-Member, @Former-Member, @BlueBay, @BlueBells, @Battleweary, @Catcakes, @Former-Member, @Determined, @EternalFlame,, @eth @Former-Member, @Faith-and-Hope, @eudemonism, @Eden1919, @greenpea, @frog, @Heavenbound, @Former-Member, @Former-Member, @Former-Member, @aButterfly, @Kurra, @Mazarita, @MoonGal, @Former-Member, , , @utopia@NatalieS@Former-Member, @outlander, @Former-Member, @Owlunar, @Maggie, , @Former-Member@PeppiPatty, @CheerBear, @Phoenix_Rising, @Pepsimax, @plasmo, @Teej, @Sahara, @Former-Member, @Zoe7, @TAB, @Tiggeroo, @Sans911, @oceangirl, @Smc, @Silenus, @Queenie, @Jacques, @Jo , @Former-Member , @Lesley , @Coffeelover, @Holly24 and everyone that is here Smiley HappyHeart

75 REPLIES 75

Re: Contracting Diabetes while on anti anxiety medication

Hi @Shaz51, no diabetes here so far. I've been on anti-depressants for over 20 years and have used the anti-anxiety benzodiazepines on and off, as needed, for much less periods of time. The latter, from my experience, are not something that are generally used all the time, as they are addictive and become less beneficial the more you use them, therefore needing higher and higher doses. As far as I know though, the anti-anxiety benzodiazepines are not linked to diabetes. Could be wrong about that. x

Hi @Shaz51 sounds like a great thread, very relevant to many people taking medications.

SP

@Shaz51 ive had so much weight gained despite a healthy lifestyle. To figure out if you have diabetes you do a blood test, if you keep to a healthy lifestyle then he should be fine. If your too worried possibly speak to a dietician or gp about what sorts of other things he can do. Im going off my anti-depressants because of it all. It has greatly helped my mental health however so its a very fine balance of what do i do.

@outlander, it concerns me that you are going off your anti-depressants. Have you had a good talk to your psychiatrist about this? Actually I can't remember if you have a psychiatrist. At the least, the GP needs to help you with it. I'm sure you know about this though, and that you also know that you need to reduce very slowly not go off them all at once. I once did that and got so physically ill. It wouldn't be worth it to go off anti-depressants if you then slide into a deeply depressed and possibly even suicidal state again. Only saying these things because I care. Stay safe, lil sis. Heart

Hi @Shaz51
I have not got diabetes but have put on weight since on meds. It aslo depends on type 1 or 2 also. I know type 2 is more common in overweight people. Diabetes can also be hereditary too so maybe look into his history. My father had type 2, my brother has type 1.

@outlander  anti-depressants has greatly helped my mental health , stay on them my sister as they are helping you

It is the anti anxiety meds which are putting the weight on for my husband

The plan ( if we reach that point) is to go up on the mood stabilisers and reduce the anti-depressants and get those to a very minimal dose if not off them because its affecting my physical ailments a heap so its hard to see what is what atm. I see my psychiatrist every 6 weeks to get reviewed and see my gp weekly as well as will be seeing a psychologist too. It worries me that reducing it by 2 dosages is already affecting me but i cant keep up with the physical ailments on them. The dosages also depend on the mods stabilisers im on- they can cause liver damage even on this regular ( according to psychitrist) dose so its all abit everywhere right about now. The suicidal part is the one that worries me the most. I seem to have it floating around as a constant thing but ignore it most of the time until it gets stronger @Mazarita and thank you ❤❤

@Shaz51

Increased blood sugar is a known side effect of many antipsychotics and regular monitoring of this is standard protocol for patients prescribed these.

The CMI sets out known side effects of a prescribed drug (CMI = info leaflet that comes with meds - if you don't have, ask chemist for this or look on line).

Hope this helps.

Darcy

Good to hear you so know what you are doing, and have your medical supports onboard too @outlander. I agree the physical health versus mental health issue is a difficult one. Eth and I have just been talking about it over on the other thread too. Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.