Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Daisydreamer
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // Men's Mental Health and Peer Support // Tues 9th March, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

Hello SANE forum members and readers 👋

This month we will be having two Topic Tuesday events!

On the 9th of March, 7:00-8:30pm AEDT we will be welcoming The Banksia Project as our special guest to talk about Men's Mental Health and their Peer Support Service. 

The Banksia Project.png

Men's Mental Health and the work of The Banksia Project

The Banksia Project offer a preventative program to support the mental health and wellbeing of men across Australia. Their peer based services allow men to support each other, no matter where you are at in your recovery or wellbeing journey. From getting through the tough times, to building connection and community, The Banksia Project's Growth Rooms allow a space for mates to support mates in local communities and nationally. 

This Topic Tuesday event will discuss Men's Mental Health, the role of mates supporting mates, and explore the opportunities for support through The Banksia Project's Growth Room Programs.

Here is a little bit about The Banksia Project and how they support men across Australia:

Please join us here on Tuesday the 9th of March 2021 from 7:00pm-8:30pm AEDT to follow this conversation. 

Want to receive a reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

I'm new here - what is this?

The event runs from 7:00pm-8:30pm AEDT and is a live, facilitated Q&A style discussion with a special guest. Each month we focus on a different topic with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator, and joined by a Peer Support Worker. 

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Our text-based event takes place right here! As it is text-based, no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the newest comments (it doesn't automatically update). The refresh button looks like this: refresh button.pngKeep an eye out for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post. We recommend using a desktop computer or laptop for the event for overall ease of use Smiley Very Happy.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will post questions for the guest to answer, and you can provide your answer too. To contribute to the event, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong, and everyone is welcome to get involved! 

If you can't make it to the live event, but are still interested in the topic, you can always read back through this discussion at a later time. 

What time does this event start in my timezone?

• AEDT - 7:00pm
  • AEST - 6:00pm
  • ACDT - 6:30pm
  • ACST - 5:30pm
  • WST - 4:00pm

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

Topic Tuesday discussions can cover some heavy topics. If you are feeling distress during this live discussion, there are support options available to you. You can start a new discussion on the forums and talk to other members, contact the SANE Help Centre on 1800 18 7263, or find crisis support options here.

68 REPLIES 68

Re: Topic Tuesday // Men's Mental Health and Peer Support // Tues 9th March, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

Hi everyone! Just a reminder that Topic Tuesday is starting in 25 minutes 😊

Tagging all those who have liked the post, and members who are online at the moment and might be interested in stopping by (100% okay to ignore this tag too) 😊

@bha @QuintoScorze @Shaz51 @Anastasia @Meowmy @HenryX @outlander @Former-Member @Owlunar @Egret @Emelia8 @Smc @Millieme @TAB @plasmo @Bentley 

Re: Topic Tuesday // Men's Mental Health and Peer Support // Tues 9th March, 7:00-8:30PM AEDT

Hadn't prepped for this . How bout for pre -opening that with Mr Porter and Liberal Party things not good atm well possibly they will be one day MPs Teflon .. nothing sticks

Tonight we are joined by Jack from The @BanksiaProject as our special guest, talking about Men’s Mental Health and the services that The Banksia Project offer for men. Here’s a little bit more about Jack:

"I’m Jack, Program Director for The Banksia Project, a men’s mental health charity which operates free support groups for men around Australia to support their mental health and wellbeing.”

You are welcome to have a look at The Banksia Project website ahead of the chat tonight.

We are also joined tonight by @Rosie93 , one of our Peer Support Workers here on the forums! You will see @Rosie93 offering support to members posting to this event and answering some of the questions themselves.

Join us at 7pm AEDT when we kick off this live event! See you soon 😊

New to the forums or want to get involved in this discussion? You can sign up to the SANE forums and join in this conversation by replying to the posts below. If you get stuck, you can tag myself or @BanksiaProject  for help with responding to the discussion.

A quick note for those who are reading along, to keep up with the conversation, make sure to continue to refresh the page to see new posts and comments. The refresh button will look something like this:refresh button.png

This Topic Tuesday will discuss Men's Mental Health, and other themes that may be triggering. If you are feeling distress during this live discussion, there are support options available to you. You can contact the SANE Help Centre on 1800 18 7263, or find crisis support options here.

hi everyone

Hi @outlander  and @TAB 

Welcome to the thread! Smiley Happy

Just to provide some context, tonight we'll be discussing the Banksia Project services and men's mental health and peer support. Smiley Happy

Rosie93

Goodo @Rosie93 um am unprepared as said what is Banksia and why is it called Banksia ? Banksiamen re famous book?

Let’s get started! 🎉

Hi everyone, my name is Daisydreamer, one of the Community Managers here at SANE, and I would like to extend a warm welcome to all those joining in the discussion tonight and reading along.

Please join me in welcoming Jack from The @BanksiaProject to the forums as our special guest! And to @Rosie93  who will be around to join in the conversation and support each of our members contributing to the discussion tonight.

Tonight, we will be talking about Men’s Mental Health, and the services that The Banksia Project offer. We also invite community members to jump in, share your experiences and ask questions to Jack. @Rosie93  will also be able to talk to peer support and the value of peer support in recovery.

As we get started on the first question, we would like to invite all those following along to introduce yourself and what brings you to the discussion tonight

Hey there @Daisydreamer!!

Really excited to be here tonight and be sharing the work of The Banksia Project! I'm Jack the Program Director at The Banksia Project and really excited to be involved in the SANE community!

🙂

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to introduce myself for those of you who haven't seen me around the forums before. Smiley Happy

I'm Rosie93, one of the Peer Support Workers here at Sane. I'm really excited to learn about the Banksia Project and Men's mental health tonight. A huge welcome to @BanksiaProject Smiley Happy

Rosie93

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.