Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

CherryBomb
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday **CLOSED**: Supporting recovery through substance abuse and mental illness

Dual diagnosis. It's like a double dilemma and it can feel like a merry-go-round supporting a loved one's recovery when there are mental health issues as well as substance abuse. It can be hard to tell what symptoms are related to mental illness or substance abuse, making it challenging to provide support.

Sometimes people mental illness will use drugs and/or alcohol as a way of coping with their symptoms. The effects of substances can help to mask symptoms that would otherwise be more evident if they were sober. This means that when people stop using, the symptoms that were once hidden by the effects of drug and/or alcohol, can rear up, making it hard to stay so sober and to get off the merry-go-round of substance abuse.

So how can you as carer support someone through these trying times? Join us Tuesday 23/02 from 7-9pm AEDT @Rockpool and @Hobbit this Topic Tuesday to discuss how.

2 things you can do right now

1. If you haven't already, register so that you can take part on evening and elsewhere on the Forums.

2. Click 'like' if you can make it, and we'll send a call out to you as a reminder on the night.

Can't make it? Leave your question below, and it will be answered during Topic Tuesday

53 REPLIES 53

Re: Topic Tuesday 23/02: Supporting recovery through substance abuse and mental illness

Hi how are you? It's very late but can I post my first question ;

1; I'm very interested in what is the progress on people experience times of mi and other unmet needs and self medicating with illegal substances ?

2; I've had many times experience of being the loved one and carer begging to be heard by hospitals and being turned away. Until..... something bad happens.
I'm very nervous that this is still the case ; is there more progress on carers being heard when dual diagnosis has been a past problem?

There was NO assistence....only 18 months ago in my husbands journey of....not being dependent on alcohol and illegal substances, he had to find out himself.....What is happening now: only 18 months later?

3 More to come,,,,, is this ok?

Re: Topic Tuesday 23/02: Supporting recovery through substance abuse and mental illness

DEar All,

I have my next question I wasnt to ask;

I have discussed it with my husband who has taken and on the journey of quitting illegal substances.

Last night, I read the wonderful talk info of David...@Hobbit....from ARAFMI talk about his journey. I got some good tips about how to deal with my oldest son and my youngest son who are both on the tip of stepping into unknown territory.

Both my husband and I agree that his journey began many years ago of intense alcohol drinking and illegal substances many years ago to mask pain and the anger of the diagnosis.

Of not getting the proper support from the communnity

The fear of meeting up with 4 Psychiatrists ( I was there more than two times )  telling him that he is a danger to the community.

I was thinking that it was almost unconcious for his to be doing what he did but he says no, it was just coping with an unfair community. 

So, what is happening with how the Hospitals are dealing with these examples?

I personally went in there once I put a restraining order on him and I was told, I can ask whatever I wanted I can blame them for whatever but at the end of the day, he was the one that they will listen to. 

The social worker was also joking around with the other members at the table which made me feel very insecure. 

The health system trys protect ppl

If the person you are caring for is someone close to you, for example a partner or family member, one huge step to take to help that person stop their substance abuse  is to look after their money for them.
It's a decision that would have to be made and agreed upon at a time when the person you're caring for is currently in a good state of mind and genuinely wants to kick their habit.  
It's a tough step to take, both for the carer and their loved one. But it CAN work. It means they don't have the cash on them to go out and purchase the alcohol/drugs when the urge hits.
And after a certain length of time (unfortunately usually it takes some months), when they have worked out another way to deal with their bad moments and are well established in a new healthier routine, they can then start becoming responsible for their cash flow once again. Although if it happens too prematurely, it's easy for them to fall back into old habits. So both the person and their carer have to be fully satisfied and convinced that it will work. It worked for me and my son.

And it can be hard to convince health workers that you can be trusted.

Hello everyone and welcome to tonight's Topic Tuesday Smiley Happy

Tonight we will be discussing Supporting recovery through substance abuse and mental illness with our special guest @Hobbit.

Thank you @PeppiPatty for sharing some of your experience and for posting some questions to get us started. I'm sure @Hobbit will be able to give you some more information about those shortly.

Just a reminder for @Cmags, @PopG83, @Ross, @BatGuano, @Xander, @Karowa22, @Former-Member and @Lily to join the conversation and ask any questions you may have on supporting a loved one during this journey

Wow, that sounds so insensitive and unprofessional !

Wow, those reactions were very insensitive and unprofessional! I'm sorry you had to go through that.

@Hobbit why dont we start with @PeppiPatty's question of the process involved with people experiencing mental health conditions and self-medicating with illicit substances Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.