Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Paperdaisy
Peer Support Worker

Refugee Week 19th-25th of June 2022 Theme: HEALING

Refugee week is an opportunity to raise awareness and listen to the stories of resilience, incredible strength and perseverance of our refugee community. If the pandemic has taught us anything it’s that human connection and belonging is an integral part of our survival and wellbeing as humans. For me, the theme HEALING makes me think that despite our differences the whole world is healing together, and we have the opportunity to move forward together, in a more connected and compassionate way.

While writing this I read many inspiring stories and I wanted to share them with you below. I hope you can take something away from this and please share your thoughts and your own stories here so we can all celebrate together.

refugeecouncil.org.au/stories 

Share a meal/Share a story  

Ambassadors 

Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 1.17.35 pm.png

What are the key aims of Refugee Week?

• To celebrate the ways in which people from refugee backgrounds enrich our communities and culture.
  • To educate the public about who refugees are and why they have come to Australia, and to understand the many challenges they face in doing so.
  • To foster empathy and understanding and in doing so, encourage a safe and welcoming environment for people seeking safety in Australia.
  • To enable communities and individuals to take positive action, and stand in solidarity with people seeking asylum and displaced people in Australia and around the world.

How can I get involved?

• Hit the ‘support’ button
  • Share a story, Share a meal! Right here on the forums, tell us what you love to eat and how you came to learn about this food? Perhaps it’s already a part of your culture and something you’ve grown up eating.

refugeeweek.org.au

Thanks for keeping this a safe and respectful space  

SANE acknowledges the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as traditional custodians of the land on which it operates, and pays respect to Elders past, present and emerging.

SANE is committed to providing a safe, culturally appropriate, inclusive service for all people, regardless of their ethnicity, faith, disability, sexuality, or gender identity.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Refugee Week 19th-25th of June 2022 Theme: HEALING

One of the foods I love to eat is empanadas, which is a baked pastry full of tasty things!

spiced-beef-olive-empanadas-506457-1.jpg

I believe they originate from Spain, and I'm so grateful I live in a city with such vibrancy and diversity in culture, which means I can access these little beauties any day of the week!

I love that the theme for Refugee Week this year is healing – I'm incredibly happy that those who've come from far and wide are here, that they are safe and that they are free. 

Tagging others who might be interested in sharing their favourite foods and the story that might accompany them:

@Appleblossom @SmilingGecko @Shaz51 @Clawde @Faith-and-Hope @Eve7 @StuF @TAB @Meowmy @Archie1 @Captain24 @Fluttershy1 @GrevilleaBlooms @Jimbo2 @Oaktree 

9042-Cornish-pasties.jpg

 Cornish Pasties -- yumm 

To imagine generations ago , my ancestors having these 

And passed down and the recipe brought to Australia when they came 

What a journey,  a experience xx 

@Rhye , @Paperdaisy 

Yummo @Shaz51 @Rhye 

I used to attend a market where I could get Injera (Ethiopian flatbread) it's usually made with teff flour so it's gluten free (I have to eat gluten free) and it's so delicious!! It's sour but with a pancake/crepe texture. I feel so lucky to have been able to experience this delicious food so close to home. 

Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 1.05.36 pm.png

Finnish pulla bread is my all time favourite. If you tell me you are Finnish I will beg you to make it!

@Rhye @Shaz51 

That made me laugh @Eve7 because perogies are my other fave, and if you're Polish I will bug you to make these as well 😃

These are my favourite food in the world called daifuku mochi. I was introduced to them by my Japanese friend and when I visited her a few years ago I lived on them. They are dough-ey little morsels filled with this red bean jam that's sweet but not too sweet.

hanami_1-1655878870192.jpeg

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.