Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Healthy Minds Webcast Series // NDIS info session// Tues 13 Sep

Image #8 - Healthy Minds Webcast - NDIS cover image 1200x628.png

As part of the Healthy Minds Webcast Series, our third sessions focused on the NDIS.

Some things we covered were:

• What does the NDIS mean in the ‘Mental Health’ community and how will it support my psychosocial needs?
  • How is the NDIS different from current community based mental health programs?
  • How can I access the NDIS?
  • Where do I find providers? And can I continue to use my current provider?

We were joined by Ben from Break Thru to get some guidence.

Don't forget to watch:

Don't forget to check out our blog on the common questions about the NDIS 

54 REPLIES 54

Re: Healthy Minds Webcast Series // NDIS info session// LIVE NOW

Thank you for this opportunity to share our experiences of supporting people with psychosocial disability within the NDIS!

breakthru is a for purpose enterprise which has worked with thousand’s of Australians over the past 20 years to access the services they need to live their best life. We recognise that everyone has a story and we are committed to improving the lives of people we support.

We already deliver Psychosocial supports for people with NDIS plans in the Hunter NSW (and have for over two years), as well as Mental Health Community Support Services in Victoria that will transition over the NDIS based supports and Commonwealth funded mental health programs in NSW and Victoria.

Welcome @Ben_BreakThru

So I'll kick off by asking 

Could you tell us if there has been any clarification around the NDIS funding adults with psychosocial disability? I believe mental health was still a bit of a ‘grey area’ for adults, considering some mental health issues aren’t ‘lifelong’ or can be episodic in nature and others can be considered lifelong.

So would the delivery of mental health services be similar to those who receive NDIS packages to disability support services? How would it be delivered?

Hello @Ben_BreakThru, @NikNik

good evening

how was the transition managed for consumers to transition to the NDIS? Were most already with an existing mental health service provider? How are you measuring how beneficial the NDIS is for your consumers?

(sorry this is my first forum so not sure if this is how it works)

Good question.

The funding of people with a psychosocial disability within the NDIS does remain a grey area with many providers reporting that people are falling between the gaps. There is a lot of rumour and conflicting innformation out there! This is partly due to the recovery focus of supports for people with psychosocial disability verse the eligibility criteria for that NDIS that a person’s disability is permanent.

Without seeing an individual’s details, it is difficult to determine whether they may be eligible or not, however we do have some experience in the Hunter with people with psychosocial disability receiving an NDIS package. And this trend is increasing remarkably. Break Thru delivers a service which focuses on an individual's supports needs, whether that is to participate more fully in the community, to achieve greater independence or employment. This may be done in a similar way to people with another type of disability, it’s all about support needs of the individual. The NDIS package is based on a person’s functional needs. Support needs might be quite intense to begin with and may taper when they experience periods of wellness. There might be a need to deliver ‘maintenance’ support to ensure ongoing progress and success.

Great question @Lulu1
Welcome @Shaz51 🙂

Hi @mindfullyhere

Thanks for your question and welcome to your first session 🙂

For your first time, it seems like you have it all sorted.

Ben will get to your questions.

Hi Ben, is eligibility determined by diagnosis or by certain 'functional' criteria?  I'm sure this info is available on the NDIA website somewhere but I find it a nightmare to navigate....

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.