Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Sweet_cheeks
Senior Contributor

son psychosis at 15 possibly ealier first episode

Hi My son has had psychosis for some time now he is 16 and only told me when he was 15 and I took him to the doctor immediatley. He was afraid to tell me. He has just been diagnosed with psychosis. He hears threatening sounds and voices. He has never taken drugs and he told me that his first episode was when he was 10 but it didn't last long and went away but has got worse recently. He says that the attacks don't happen much but his fear of them happening is making him very anxious poor darling. I have bipolar 1 disorder and temporal lobe epilepsy which causes scary hallucinations. I have had psychotic symptoms myself and got majorlly ill and ending up in hospital about 6 months after he was born. I would like to know if anyone else has children this young get it and whether its nurture or nature. I love him so much. He is a beautiful boy and it is heartbreaking and I'm sure you all feel that way about your family members and friends. He is so young.I feel extremely guilty about it all. I love him very much but have had good intentions but gone a bit awl now and then partly because I'm crazy and partly because I am lazy. I have a son who is autistic as well and has been in and out of the psych ward with extreme ocd. HE screams in the street and runs away in the middle of the night. The police have visited and now we have to lock the doors. He has improved a lot with medication. However this has really effected my 16 year old. I am sure. do any of you have kids as young as this with psychosis. Is this the beginning of schizophrenia. The doctor says he can't say yet. My son is 16 but it started when he was 10 It's too young. He seems to be improving with medicine and excercise though. He went out with his friends at the beginning of the week and came home laughing and telling the family stories about their shenanigans. I just desperately want to be a good mum. I always wanted kids and I feel I have failed them. I feel often that they'd have been better off with another mum.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: son psychosis at 15 possibly ealier first episode

Hey @Sweet_cheeks  the answer is yes I am sorry to say.My son2 has autism, epilepsy, mild intellectual delay and schizophrenia. He started seeing things when he was 5ish and it gradually got worse and really took off into full blown schizophrenia when he was 16 .... his psychiatrist at the time said that with the right medication things should calm down when he was 21 and the psychiatrist was right (although even now he lives with constant voices even with medication just not as bad ....). Medication is a must imho. My son had many hospital visits and was super aggressive with many visits from the local police. It was a nightmare to say the least. My own psychiatrist said that the longer the patient refuses medication the more damage is done to the mind so it is vital to get the meds righ and to take them regularly. 

Sweet_cheeks I wish I had more psitive words but it is what it is and the sooner your son gets on the proper meds the better the outcome will be for him and the whole family. Take care of yourself too. Love greenpeax 

@Sweet_cheeks  I just wanted to add what a good mum you are. Again take care and look out for you. Love greenpeax

@greenpea Hi Greenpea, Thanks for saying that. You are too. How are things?

Love Sweet cheeks

@Sweet_cheeks  son2 has been having breakthrough seizures which is a bummer. He is still getting voices but other than that things are pretty good. Son1 is happy has girllfriend and good job and daughter has moved out and is loving her independence. My mi is going good atm medication is really helping.

Just concerned about you hun. Make sure you do some nice things for yourself with everythig that you have going on. You can talk with me any time, ask me anything about my journey with son2 as we have been basically where you are now. You have a friend here. Love greenpeax

Hello @Sweet_cheeks 

I cannot add much but say that Intergenerational trauma is difficult and needs to be given more attention.  Otherwise helpers tend to blame parents who may have been just another victim.

Take Care of you and your kids.

We can only do our best and it SHOULD be enuff.

@greenpea You are so helpful and supportive Greenpea. You are right about the medicine though it's made a bif improvement in my son.  It must have been hell for you. Having an autistic, epileptic schizophrenic child. Poor kid how unfair, but he has you so that is a good thing. My son seems to be recovering or at least in a stable condition .some days are better than others and he can talk and have a good time with his friends. He's not paranoid about them. so things are looking up. I guess the idea of schizophrenia is scary but you and others seem to manage it. I just spoke to a cousin who has it and she was helpful. It's just good to know it's not a death sentence that you can live a life, have friends,  have a family a job all those things. Anyway happy mother's day. 

@Sweet_cheeks Hey Sweet_cheeks 😄 yes it is not like the bad old days when the medications would be more awful than the illness itself..... as long as he knows to stay away from drugs including alcohol then he will be fine imho. Self medicating is a no no with schizophrenia. Happy mothers day to you too sweetheart. Love peaHeart

Hi there. I just read your post and it so resonated with me. My soon to be 16 year old was diagnosed just today with Psychosis and I'm terrified! He's such a good kid but somethings not been ok for maybe a year or so. He changed friends and started experimenting with marijuana. That's when I think he had he first episode although I was told today that his psychosis isn't drug related. He also has chronic anxiety as well. He's not sure if some people are human or aliens including me. He's trying to manage his thoughts but he says they are with him most of the time. His grades have completely bombed to. I'm so scared this is a symptom of schizophrenia but I was told doctors won't make a diagnosis until they are at least 16. Any advise or help you can give me woukd be so appreciative. I'm a single mum and I work full time. I'm feeling overwhelmed and I'm not sure how to best support him or look after my own mental health xxx 

Hi there, 

If it's anything I've learnt from having a schizophrenia brother it's these:

-try not to react when he show signs of paranoia or distress, it's better to try stay positive, like show him your support and just know internally that it is not your fault and even if he blames you for anything, try not to react, breathe, take a step back and remind him of your love and support for him. I know this is hard and I'm not saying you don't do it already, I'm just saying that reacting badly only makes things worse

-in order to not react badly I guess you have to take care of yourself which you seem to be struggling with. Just know that once he gets diagnosed and treated with the right medication, he will be back to normal and you won't feel so distressed but it's very important that he stays on those meds. In the meantime, try meditating, there's a free balance app for apple users if you like, I've used it for a long time now and it helps me so much. Also try doing something that makes you happy. Maybe you can try doing an activity with your son that makes you both happy? 
I'm not really sure if any of that helped but that's just my opinion/ experience, I can't say for you what will and won't work. Just try being patient as much as you can, reach out to other family members or friends for support, don't feel ashamed, of anyone is not supportive of you it's shame on them not you. Also I would suggest going to the doctors as soon as he is done celebrating his 16th birthday. I'm not sure where this 16 year old thing came from but I thought schizophrenia could be diagnosed at any age.. anyways just try be patient till then or maybe seek another doctors medical advice on how to deal at home. Sending my love 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.