Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

greenpea
Senior Contributor

getting older and medication and how it affects our body image

Hi to all the oldies like myself

In the past I was always a long lanky person could eat anything and never put on any weight however since I have been on these wretched medication that has all changed. I have gone from an athletic build to a hour glass figure and I hate it :(.

Not only does getting older suck with all the aches and pains etc but now my body doesn't look like me anymore. I am a very sad pea. Anyone feeling the same. greenpea

15 REPLIES 15

Re: getting older and medication and how it affects our body image

Hi @greenpea,

I am also a bit sad about the body. I can relate not looking like you used too. I also get a few aches and pains in my neck and shoulder.

I think eating right and going for walks 30 minutes a day keeps the weight off. Also working on motivation for constant improvement for the gut and mind.

As you get older have to deal with sadness.The body changes and it's hard to keep up.

I hope you are feeling a little better about the body and getting older.

@Everan  Thank you Everan for your kind words. Helped to make pea feel a bit better :)xxx

Yes I can sympathize with your observations, I was so skinny and could eat and eat and never put on any weight. With middle age and dreadful medications it's a losing battle trying to control the weight. What gets me the Drs who prescribe the medications that cause the weight gains say to you, "your putting on weight,you will have to lose some,because it's not good for your heart,b/p,diabetes etc". What do they expect us to do?. At 80 I am going to the gym with the hope I can lose some weight. Fat chance. If they could only come up with a better type of medication,that didn't cause you to put on weight that would be just the thing. Any way,with age and grey hair, wisdom comes. So savior that one.

Hey little pea @greenpea I am in the same boat. When I was younger I used to be really able to eat and drink anything and never put on weight. However, now I am older and with antipsychotic medications on board for good measure, I have an apple shaped body. 

I used to be upside down triangle shape with broad muscular shoulders from swimming. 
It is heartbreaking really when you can't fit into clothes you once could. 

Be rest assured though GP, you are still a wonderful person. 

@Queenie  Thanks Queenie :)xxxx

Definitely relate to not seeing or feeling the same in our body as time goes by @greenpea, it can be quite confronting, can't it? Walking each day is a blessing, even just 20 minutes can help according to Tyson Fury (world heavyweight boxing champ), he went from weighing over 400 pounds to winning the title back after he started moving again. Sending you love. It sounds cliche, but it's who you are inside that really counts and you're lovely Heart
@jay2 going to the gym at 80 is a huge achievement in itself, very impressive! 

@greenpea It is sad since two years ago, I stopped taking care of how I look because I put on so much weight and really don’t look good anymore. But your daily walking inspired me. Tomorrow, when I go for my morning walk, I will try to walk on the sand, to build up my ankles,knees small muscles, dreaming of go hiking one day!

@jay2  Thanks for your kind words and good on you for going to the gym at 80! My mum is 83 and goes to the gym .... she hates it lol but she says she has to keep going (she cannot walk far due to her legs and back) and she hates swimming so gym it is. greenpea 

@Meowmy I will be thinking of you today when I head out for my walk this morning Meowmy.  Hoping you have a lovely walk along the beach. @BryanaCamp  hikes she maybe be able to give you some tips on hiking. greenpea xxxx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.