Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

utopia
Senior Contributor

WorkCover & Depression / Anxiety

So in 10 days I go for my Independent Impairment Assessment through a WorkCover approved Psychiatrist. 

I'm so nervous. 

I've been on WorkCover for 3 months shy of 5 years.  And finally after all this time they will assess me for the percentage of impairment I have suffered. 

If I got a physical injury at work,  I'd only need at 10% incapacity ruling.  But I live in Victoria,  so I need a 30% incapacity score for psychological injury.  That's just not fair. 

I need this percentage of incapacity so I can then take my ex employer to court,  over them not providing me with a safe workplace. 

My anxiety levels are up sky high.  My depression is creeping back to drown me. 

What happens if I don't get that score?  I worry this psychiatrist (he has bad reviews from other patients who have seen him for this assessment), won't believe I'm sick.  Or if he does,  he'll think it's  only minor.  But it hasn't been minor.  It's majorly changed every aspect of my life. From income to relationships to memory and cognitive function to suicidal thoughts and plans.  The list goes on. 

My mood is slipping. I'm scared things will all go wrong.  And I'm scared I'm going to end up back in that dark vortex of depression.  I don't want to go back there. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: WorkCover & Depression / Anxiety

Hey @utopia . That’s a big one. I hope it works out ok. The psychological stuff is so subjective too. It sucks. I’ll be crossing everything and hoping it goes ok and the outcome is what you want. 

I have something legal legal coming up that I’ll need psych reports for but my psych will write them. I would find it so hard that another psych would write those reports so I understand your anxiety around this.  

Have you been up your mountain now it is a bit cooler? 

hi @utopia hang in there, you can do it, you're a strong person. would it help to do some preparation, maybe write down want you want to convey?

I hope things go your way, it sounds like you've been majorly impaired for almost 5 years so that's quite a bit of evidence.

Last time I was assessed by a psychologist she told me I had the emotional equipment of a pre-verbal child, I still don't know what to make of that.

I'm sure this effort you're making will be worth it.

Sitting with you Cat Happy

Thanks @Teej .

No I haven't been near my mountain in over a year - maybe 2 years.  I just can't do it. 

But I've started colouring in again this past week.  It's really the only "therapy" I'm doing. 

Hope you are well. 

Thank you @BryanaCamp 

I think the psychiatrist tends to cut people off.  He asks a question and wants a short reply. But so much has happened,  I don't think I could do short replies.

Hi utopia,
You can do this. Anxiety lies to us. Try to calm that farm a little. It might be worth looking in to Mind Dogs. My little kelpie started training last Monday. The only problem I've had is that I have to travel 2.5 hours for training as there is no one closer that can do it. Because you also live in a rural area, you might need to do so too.
You're in my thoughts and prayers. Luv n Hugzzz 🎶💕🎶
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.