Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Unkindness with labels. Ditching the diagnosis?

@Little_Leopard I had a perfectly normal life before getting diagnosed with schizophrenia. Sure I abused substances so did my friends at the time and majority of them had nothing happen to them, only me. 

now my psychiatrist believes nothing to do with my substance abuse led me to have this illness. Genetics was his answer. 

I don’t believe schizophrenia is caused by trauma or environmental factors or anything, it’s just genes in my opinion.

you are free to believe what you want because you may have a different understanding to the illness as I and everyone is entitled to their own opinion

Hey @Former-Member 

I think you have miss understood what I said. I actually agree with you. By no means does trauma or environmental factors “cause” schizophrenia but they can play a role in triggering it. There are a range of factors that are considered to be triggers and the likelihood of the condition being triggered is definitely majorly influenced by Genetics.

Like you said. Your friends all did drugs but they didn’t get it. You did because of your genetics and maybe other triggering factors had a combined effect. I don’t know though because I am not the expert (not even close)

You and your GP would have a way better understanding of schizophrenia than I. I am only repeating what I have read in my first year psychology studies (while I did it temporarily). I do not have Schizophrenia personally. I have one immediate family member who suffers some kind of psychosis but they don’t want treatment or a diagnosis so I don’t know for sure what they have. But either way I am definitely not even close to qualified when it comes to schizophrenia.

Ah it’s all good @Little_Leopard I don’t really care at this point, I hope you continue your studies and become what you wanna be. 

this illness is hard to understand or recover from, trust me but at the end of the day it’s only a diagnosis and life must go on, it mist

Hi @Former-Member  Many European and Asian countries are changing the name of schizophrenia due to the stigma attached. Hoping Australia follows suit 🙏

@Former-Member 

Thanks for the wishes but I am not actually studying anymore. I never even got past the first year. my mental health will not allow it. Was just referencing what I did learn in that time. I can not work or study due to my mental health although I wish I could.

You do you. What ever that is. 
I do not judge you at all. We do not choose for this to happen. It happens and then we deal with it.

Are you any closer to deciding how you will handle the this situation? 

That’s a shame I tired uni too and it wasn’t for me @Little_Leopard I work, but that’s challenging and as you say how I handle my situation?

im just playing it day by day hoping for the best. Stay strong and confident I’m sure something will work out

Thanks @Former-Member.

oh I see, so are you also facing stigma challenges at work? Is that what you’re saying? That would be super hard.

Day by day sounds good. Have you considered a job in peer work or mental health where mental health conditions are more accepted and understood? Or is that not your thing? 

Hey @Little_Leopard yeah you could call it stigma I suppose talking to HR again on Wednesday to smoothen things out, that’s all I want smooth sailing lol

@Former-Member  Sounds like a good plan.

I hope it works out for you. You’re not asking too much. You just want to feel comfortable at work so that you can focus on doing your job 

@Former-Member when I was in denial about having Schizophrenia (and stable on medication) I never used to disclose my diagnosis to employers and people I met. I remained fully functional and integrated in society without any issues except that of burnout since side effects of medication dampen my ability to concentrate and endure over the long term. Today I am open about my diagnosis more often and I stay withdrawn so as to avoid stigma and discrimination. I find subconsciously people often judge me as a weaker member of society and so I seek to advocate in a role that dispels stigma and judgement. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Australia All rights reserved.